7/28 Emerald CIty Music Games (Dublin OH)

OK, part of the reason I was a little sparse during Vanguard Cadets is because I literally got in the stadium when the show was about to start. I had to get my equipment configured for tonight. Fortunally, everything is in order and I'm ready to really give you what's happening on the field tonight.

Next on the field is the Cascades from Seattle, Washington. Their 2014 program is entitled "Turn" and consists of:

Summertime from Porgy & Bess by Gershwin, George

Firebird by Stravinsky, Igor

Turn, Turn, Turn by Seeger, Pete

Carol of the Bells by Leontovych, Mykola; Wilhousky, Peter J.

Dies Irae by Traditional

Rite of Spring by Stravinsky, Igor

Simple Gifts by Traditional

The show opens with a very bluesy trumpet solo of Summertime. Meanwhile, the rest of the corps builds into Stravinsky's Firebird. An interesting juxtaposition.

The corps is not full size but they are strong performers. The design team has given the Cascades a great show to perform and they are stepping up to it. The recent 70+ score they earned in Atlanta was well deserved.

After the first impact of the show, a muted trumpet reprises the Summertime melody into a microphone with a kind of Miles Davis feel. A second trumpet echos his solo facing backfield. Meanwhile, the snares are ramming away behind them.

The scrims on the front of the field have varying color shades interposed with portions of tree branches. Backfield, tarps of trees with the same color scheme form a stage, boundary, and changing area for equipment.

Very nice brass moment at the start of Turn, Turn, Turn, as they play a minor version of the melody backfield.

The corps now lies on the field as a baritone soloist plays up front.

We occasionally hear Simple Gifts quoted throughout the show as well. That is also the closer of the show.

Horns play to the Side 1 endzone before turning front with the chorus of Turn, Turn, Turn.

Guard is now on swing flags, pale yellow with two brown leaves artistically drawn on them.

Nobody gives play by play like kevingamin! Thanks dude!

• Like 1