7/28 Emerald CIty Music Games (Dublin OH)

We now move to Winter. Carol of the Bells forms the musical basis of the show. The guard is now on white and blue flags with an abstract frost pattern.

Percussion gets a feature now. Half the guard is now on rifle in front of the drums.

Horns play behind the drums, moving their horns from left to right to give a Doppler Effect feel to their music.

Nice fade out/fade in effect by the drums going from the full line playing and dropping out until only a solo snare plays, then a brief moment of silence before reversing the effect.

The closer begins with a mellophone on the "I'm not an English Horn" solo of Firebird. A trumpet duet takes over the melody before we move into Simple Gifts and spring time.

• Like 2

Excellent overlaying of Firebird with Simple Gifts to show that the seasons continue to turn even when this show completes. An excellent job by the Cascades!

Cascades in action:

20140728_193945.jpg

Wow! Cascades. I hadnt seen or read about their show this year.

Very refreshing. My favorite show of theirs that ive ever heard. And i wasn't annoyed by the christmas music! The arrangements suited the corps and were quite aggressive which i appreciated.

Next on the field is Jersey Surf from Camden County, New Jersey. Their 2014 program is entitled "Pay It Forward" and consists of:

Appalachian Spring by Copland, Aaron

I Think It's Gonna Rain Today by Newman, Randy

Lean on Me by Withers, Bill

The shamrock on the center of the field is framed by the guard flags, which also frames a solo guard member, looking forlorn. Time to pay it forward...