Pioneer Deserved Better

Watching Pioneer throughout the season, it seems that they got better every day. For the judges to not allow them to break 70 all season is a clear indication that DCI seems to hold grudges as well as look at the previous history of a corps. Did the Pioneer deserve the score they received? Were other corps that placed above them that much better? You decide.

• Like 1

Watching Pioneer throughout the season, it seems that they got better every day. For the judges to not allow them to break 70 all season is a clear indication that DCI seems to hold grudges as well as look at the previous history of a corps. Did the Pioneer deserve the score they received? Were other corps that placed above them that much better? You decide.

Actually, it's a clear indication that the judges held no bias at all, and called the show they saw. No one, least of all any judges, owes Pioneer any favors. What you should be doing is praising the Open Class corps that beat Pioneer. They placed pretty much where they should have. I was actually surprised Raiders didn't pass them as well.

• Like 3

The members certainly deserve a better show design from their staff. Maybe next year they can do a show about stealing Roman's hat.

• Like 2

Pioneer's show was entertaining and it was nice to hear recognizable melodies, but there were a lot of parts of their show which felt very awkward (drumset use during certain moments especially, IMO). If they were an open class corps, they would only have been 9th place in open...sorry but they are not a world class corps and DCI should move them back to open.

• Like 1

Because it's finals week the judges should simply "allow" a corps to break 70? Are you for real? Corps have to earn their scores. Sometimes judging is skewed and it's obvious, to everyone, that an error was made. But, in the case of Pioneer, no error was made. I'm sure the members in the ranks of Pioneer worked just as hard, all season long, as the folks in the top tier of the activity; but, as usual, there are reasons why Pioneer consistently places where it does every year...as unfortunate as that may seem, it's the reality.

So your telling me that between Allentown and yesterday, they only improved by 7 tenths of a point?

Listen, I've met Roman and I know he cares a lot about the activity and his corps; but, until he allows for change and evolution, Pioneer is going to remain where it is and it will keep on getting passed up by more and more corps.

Edited by shortn'sour
  • Like 3

I think the scoring this year has been kind of unusual. In theory, I would say Pioneer gave an amazin performance yesterday, and probably should hae earned a 70. However, when you compare their show to the top tier corps, I can easily see a 30 point spread there. And to be completely honest, I think the top score are just a little too high. I thought BD should have been closer to a 96.2 last night, with the other top 6 corps all within a couple of points of them.

Pioneer had one heck of a great last show yesterday. They were the best I had seen them all year, and should be applauded on their performance. I wish more people had seen their show yesterday.

However, even though their performance was great, the show was very weak. The musical arrangement were a little strange to begin with, and then the 3 headed closer just felt very odd. Any of the 3 pieces by theslves would have been great, but the way they put them together in sequene just didn't work very well. It was very disjointed. I know sometimes the young members of Pioneer don't have the most experience, but I do wish the writers and designers of the show would challenge them just a little bit more. When you see the corps these kids leave Pioneer for and get into, you can see that many of the members are maybe a little more talented than the staff give them credit for.

Great job from Pioneer on a great season. One of the most underappreciated corps out there today. I can't wait to see your show next year. Thank you to Pioneer for all you do or the activity.