Notable Records maybe not mentioned

I believe Crossmen had the highest 12th place score ever as well. Interestingly, 1988 Suncoast Sound still holds the record for highest 10th place score, even 25 years later.

You are correct. Three Finals scoring records were broken this year, by BD, Crown, and Bones. Also, as noted here, this year ties for the most corps achieving 91 (8), 88 (10), 87 (11), and 86 (12).

And you are also right that Suncoast '88 for tenth place is the oldest Finals total scoring record still standing, followed closely by Star '89 for sixth place, and much less closely by Blue Devils '98 for third place.

• Like 2

I believe Crossmen had the highest 12th place score ever as well. Interestingly, 1988 Suncoast Sound still holds the record for highest 10th place score, even 25 years later.

As much as I truly dislike most Robert W. Smith compositions and arrangements, I love that 88 show so much. If there's one show in DCI history that deserves more recognition (and maybe a reboot), it's that one.

It kinda sucks Star gets a ton of credit for 1993 but most people seem to be unaware that Suncoast went nuts in 1988. Is that the first completely original show in DCI? I can't think of another one. I know Boo had an original performed by the Cavies a while before that, but I can't recall anyone doing completely original music for the entire show earlier than 88 Suncoast.

As much as I truly dislike most Robert W. Smith compositions and arrangements, I love that 88 show so much. If there's one show in DCI history that deserves more recognition (and maybe a reboot), it's that one.

It kinda sucks Star gets a ton of credit for 1993 but most people seem to be unaware that Suncoast went nuts in 1988. Is that the first completely original show in DCI? I can't think of another one. I know Boo had an original performed by the Cavies a while before that, but I can't recall anyone doing completely original music for the entire show earlier than 88 Suncoast.

"Florida Suite" was the first completely original show for drum corps, performed by Suncoast Sound in 1985. You can find it on the new Essentials BlueRay or DVD.

• Like 1

"Florida Suite" was the first completely original show for drum corps, performed by Suncoast Sound in 1985. You can find it on the new Essentials BlueRay or DVD.

Argh. Slipped my mind. How could I forget The Lick.

It really wish I knew more about Suncoast's history. I know quite a bit about Star and other corps like VK and Bridgemen, but Suncoast doesn't get talked about a lot. Seems like a pretty important corps in DCI history that broke into the top 6 pretty quickly.

Argh. Slipped my mind. How could I forget The Lick.

It really wish I knew more about Suncoast's history. I know quite a bit about Star and other corps like VK and Bridgemen, but Suncoast doesn't get talked about a lot. Seems like a pretty important corps in DCI history that broke into the top 6 pretty quickly.

1979: 40th (corps competed in only one show before Championships, as they were created for the trip to England and the Royal Festival)

1980: 30th

1981: 21st

1982: 13th

1983: 6th (5th in prelims)

Yea, pretty quick.

• Like 1

1979: 40th (corps competed in only one show before Championships, as they were created for the trip to England and the Royal Festival)

1980: 30th

1981: 21st

1982: 13th

1983: 6th (5th in prelims)

Yea, pretty quick.

I loved those mid-late 80's Suncoast shows. What was the year they had a late start to the season and incredibly made finals? 89?

How many caption heads (besides Rennick) have won the Sanford with two different corps?

Off the top of my head I think Rennick is the only one who has done it, at least in the modern era.

I know some people don't like his arrangements, but no one can deny that man can teach a percussion section like few others.

Off the top of my head I think Rennick is the only one who has done it, at least in the modern era.

I know some people don't like his arrangements, but no one can deny that man can teach a percussion section like few others.

Didn't Scott Johnson and SCV win the Sanford in 91? (Tied with Cavies I believe).

• Like 1

Just thought of one more. Thom Hannum 87 Cadets/ 93 Star?