Which State has the highest DCI marching members? Part II

Which State  

86 members have voted

1. 1. When you marched, what State did you come from?

• A- Alaska B- Alabama
    • A- Arizona B- Arkansas
    • A- California B- Colorado
    • A- Connecticut B- Delaware
    • A- Florida B- Georgia
    • A- Hawaii B- Idaho
    • A- Illinois B- Indiana
    • A-Iowa B- Kansas
    • A- Kentucky B- Louisiana
    • A- Maine B- Maryland
    • A- Massacusetts B- Michigan
    • A- Minnesota B- Mississippi
    • A- Missouri B- Montana
    • A- Nebraska B- Nevada
    • A- New Hampshire B- New Jersey
    • A- New Mexico B- New York
    • A- North Carolina B- North Dakota
    • A- Ohio B- Oklahoma
    • A- Oregon B-Pennsylvania
    • A- Rhode Island B- South Carolina
    • A- South Dakota B- Tennessee
    • A- Texas B- Utah
    • A-Vermont B- Virginia
    • A- Washington B- West Virginia
    • A- Wisconsin B- Wyoming
  2. 2. "A" State vs. "B" State

• My State was a "B" state (Sorry Alaska I need this spot)
    • A- Arizona
    • A- California
    • A- Connecticut
    • A- Florida
    • A- Hawaii
    • A-Illinois
    • A- Iowa
    • A- Kentucky
    • A- Maine
    • A- Massachusetts
    • A- Minnesota
    • A-Missouri
    • A- Nebraska
    • A-New Hampshire
    • A- New Mexico
    • A- North Carolina
    • A- Ohio
    • A- Oregon
    • A-Rhode Island
    • A- South Dakota
    • A- Texas
    • A- Vermont
    • A- Washington
    • A- Wisconsin
  3. 3. States vs. Non-US States

• States
    • Non- US State I was from a foreign country

Having gone to school(and later taught at that school for 15 years) in upstate New York, I can confirm cajal assertions. In the 80' and 90's there were quite a few VERY competitive programs in the area.

I agree...I was in one of those bands from 1996-1999. My brothers were in the band from 1991-1996. It was a blast competing in the National class with the likes of West Genesee and Webster. We struggled a bit in a few of the years that I was in it as our director had kind of mailed it in and our membership fell some, but it was great nonetheless.

The problem with New York is that their school schedule goes until mid to late June (I graduated from HS on June 24 or so, while the city in live in now in Ohio graduates in late May), so high school kids have absolutely no way of marching in a World Class corps. With the Patriots no longer operating, its difficult to get kids interested in DCI, as there is no corps operating out of New York.

Edited by sabrefan62

Any surprises by these early results?

1. California

2. Texas

3. Ohio/Florida

5. Virginia

I personally thought California would be a lot more. Wasn't expecting Virginia at all. And....two of the top five states don't even have corps based in them.

Thoughts?

I'm surprised that there aren't more Indiana, Michigan, and Kentucky votes.

I know from personal experience over quite a few years that Ohio people travel all over for corps and ALWAYS have. Not surprised about that one bit.

Any surprises by these early results?

1. California

2. Texas

3. Ohio/Florida

5. Virginia

I personally thought California would be a lot more. Wasn't expecting Virginia at all. And....two of the top five states don't even have corps based in them.

Thoughts?

Northern Virginia is very very dense with high schools. That area alone contains the two richest counties in the country and the band programs, in my personal experience, are pretty strong (although they're not very big BOA participants). With such a huge talent pool and the resources to produce talented musicians, I'm not surprised at all that Virginia is on the list.

Northern Virginia is very very dense with high schools. That area alone contains the two richest counties in the country and the band programs, in my personal experience, are pretty strong (although they're not very big BOA participants). With such a huge talent pool and the resources to produce talented musicians, I'm not surprised at all that Virginia is on the list.

I never realized that there were a bunch of NoVa schools with STRONG band programs when I lived there (as recent as last year)...

I knew about Fairfax being a large program and being pretty strong, but not any other schools really, which I thought was weird considering that 8 of the 15 the richest counties in America are in the DC metro area.

I guess there's a decent reason why there's been a BOA regional in Townson, MD in the past ( to "Capitolize" on all the schools in the area), and a USBands events too.

Cappybara, if you get the time, please PM the programs; I'd like to check them out on youtube.

I never realized that there were a bunch of NoVa schools with STRONG band programs when I lived there (as recent as last year)...

I knew about Fairfax being a large program and being pretty strong, but not any other schools really, which I thought was weird considering that 8 of the 15 the richest counties in America are in the DC metro area.

I guess there's a decent reason why there's been a BOA regional in Townson, MD in the past ( to "Capitolize" on all the schools in the area), and a USBands events too.

Cappybara, if you get the time, please PM the programs; I'd like to check them out on youtube.

On the marching side they are low level BOA programs... the area is lead by James Madison HS from Vienna, who is making the trip to Grand Nationals this year, and I think will have a shot to make the semi-finals (top 25). Madison is a couple points below Norwin/Kiski/Bridgewater-Raritan, who might be more familiar BOA names. On the concert side, the programs are phenomenal, playing top notch literature and will go toe to toe with any high school ensembles in the country. The marching programs lag behind, but they are getting better as some of the schools start to "field" winter guards and percussion ensembles and pull in some more staff with DCI experience. There are no "big name" DCI staff teaching in the area though, as far as I know.

Sent you a PM

On the marching side they are low level BOA programs... the area is lead by James Madison HS from Vienna, who is making the trip to Grand Nationals this year, and I think will have a shot to make the semi-finals (top 25). Madison is a couple points below Norwin/Kiski/Bridgewater-Raritan, who might be more familiar BOA names. On the concert side, the programs are phenomenal, playing top notch literature and will go toe to toe with any high school ensembles in the country. The marching programs lag behind, but they are getting better as some of the schools start to "field" winter guards and percussion ensembles and pull in some more staff with DCI experience. There are no "big name" DCI staff teaching in the area though, as far as I know.

Agreed. My school didn't compete with Madison (maybe once in my 4 years) but they're quite good. In my experience, Battlefield High School has been the most dominant high school in our area. They make some quality programs.

And yes, I agree about the concert programs. Our school had a very very excellent concert program (competed in Disney's national competition, a couple regional competitions, etc). Similar situation with other high schools in the area. The talent in VA is there, it's just that for some reason, they do not participate in BOA as much nor are their marching programs nearly as strong as their concert.

Sent you a PM

Agreed. My school didn't compete with Madison (maybe once in my 4 years) but they're quite good. In my experience, Battlefield High School has been the most dominant high school in our area. They make some quality programs.

And yes, I agree about the concert programs. Our school had a very very excellent concert program (competed in Disney's national competition, a couple regional competitions, etc). Similar situation with other high schools in the area. The talent in VA is there, it's just that for some reason, they do not participate in BOA as much nor are their marching programs nearly as strong as their concert.

At the end of the day, concert programs are what is most important on an overall level. So many schools put such an emphasis on doing well in marching, but really, it's a year round thing, and definitely more kudos for doing well in concert band season. Marching band styles and circuits are different around the country, but concert band is pretty universal.