Troopers History - Lesson Wanted

MikeN

Interesting read - thanks! I was wondering, though, if anybody knew why he chose to use the "western" theme? I see how closely it is associated with the town there - was that all there was to it? (If so, no argument - that's an easy choice to make, it seems.)

Mike

Interesting read - thanks! I was wondering, though, if anybody knew why he chose to use the "western" theme? I see how closely it is associated with the town there - was that all there was to it? (If so, no argument - that's an easy choice to make, it seems.)

Mike

As an almost 40-year lover and advocate of the Troopers, and who was born, bred, raised and have lived all my life in central NY state...the association makes perfect sense to me, and is a perfectly natural fit. Please...no sarcasm intended there. Just...well...the way it hits me.

Edited by HornTeacher

Interesting read - thanks! I was wondering, though, if anybody knew why he chose to use the "western" theme? I see how closely it is associated with the town there - was that all there was to it?

Yes.

The cavalry and Fort Caspar dominate the 19th century local history. Caspar Collins was a minor national figure.

And don't forget that the 1950's were the heyday of the western / cowboys and indians movie era.

So he captured both the local and national imagination by going with the cavalry theme. Great branding for the time.

• Like 1

The cavalry and Fort Caspar dominate the 19th century local history. Caspar Collins was a minor national figure.

And don't forget that the 1950's were the heyday of the western / cowboys and indians movie era.

So he captured both the local and national imagination by going with the cavalry theme. Great branding for the time.

Agree. Also, for historical perspective ( for others here ), much of the Corps in Jim's time were not adopting a western theme. The national powerhouse Corps during this era of the Troopers start up were primarily from the East and the Midwest. ( This was way before the time of the national emergence of BD, SCV , Kingsmen, Commodores, Freelancers, VK etc on the West Coast ). Jim correctly saw an opportunity to go with the Western motif for his new start up. Coupled with the history of Caspar, Wyo., it seemed perfectly fitting for Jim to adopt this ethos and motif.

The Troopers were the first Drum Corps to do national touring. When they came East, their Western styled motif, with these uniforms, boots, and shako, etc was a breath of fresh air, and crowds loved them in the East. The crowds still love the Troopers. Just about wherever go, audiences love the Troopers style of shows ( I know, stating the obvious here )... and this year was no exception too.

Edited by BRASSO