Your First Show

For some reason I felt that I should keep the name of the Town I grew up in private so as to keep myself anonymous. But I would think that the people who have known me and follow DCP must have made the connection by now. So now for the big reveal.... I actually grew up in the Town of Stoneham. But that's not all folks as I, in fact, had a long time on and off relationship with the daughter of Nancy Kerrigan's first coach. Small world ain't it Ghost! Anyways, the whole Kerrigan fiasco, as bizarre as it was for most people, seemed even more bizarre to me. I remember CNN interviewing Kerrigan's next door neighbor who just so happened to be a guy I went to school with. I was actually flipping through the channels and suddenly there he was with a microphone in his face.

What I also found strange was how that footage of her crying her eyes out was seen to be funny by so many people. The poor girl just got clubbed in the leg with a baseball bat. Ha Ha? If you want to know if figure skater's are tough then you should ask a hockey player. We have seen them hit the ice time and time again after losing their jump, get right back up and go after it again. And unlike hockey players they are not wearing equipment. When you hit that ice with your elbow, your knee, your head it tends to be painful. The young women I mentioned earlier was a figure skater and I have seen nearly as many of them have to leave the ice due to injury as I have hockey players. By the way she did look amazing in those costumes she would wear.

For some reason I felt that I should keep the name of the Town I grew up in private so as to keep myself anonymous. But I would think that the people who have known me and follow DCP must have made the connection by now. So now for the big reveal.... I actually grew up in the Town of Stoneham. But that's not all folks as I, in fact, had a long time on and off relationship with the daughter of Nancy Kerrigan's first coach. Small world ain't it Ghost! Anyways, the whole Kerrigan fiasco, as bizarre as it was for most people, seemed even more bizarre to me. I remember CNN interviewing Kerrigan's next door neighbor who just so happened to be a guy I went to school with. I was actually flipping through the channels and suddenly there he was with a microphone in his face.

What I also found strange was how that footage of her crying her eyes out was seen to be funny by so many people. The poor girl just got clubbed in the leg with a baseball bat. Ha Ha? If you want to know if figure skater's are tough then you should ask a hockey player. We have seen them hit the ice time and time again after losing their jump, get right back up and go after it again. And unlike hockey players they are not wearing equipment. When you hit that ice with your elbow, your knee, your head it tends to be painful. The young women I mentioned earlier was a figure skater and I have seen nearly as many of them have to leave the ice due to injury as I have hockey players. By the way she did look amazing in those costumes she would wear.

Stoneham, by the legendary Smith Brothers, Neal & Tony?

Oh wait, those two were Stoughton, weren't they?

I still get those confused, 20+ years after moving to Boston...

Edited by rayfallon

Ray, being that you posted this at 4:26 A.M. it's understandable. I have no idea where they were from I just know that Tony ended up on Newbury St. in Boston which ain't a bad neighborhood.

Ray, being that you posted this at 4:26 A.M. it's understandable. I have no idea where they were from I just know that Tony ended up on Newbury St. in Boston which ain't a bad neighborhood.

And I quote my source, "they were a product of the Lower Mills."

First Show. May 31 1969. Alhambra Day in Etobicoke. The host drum corps, Michael Power Knights, were in exhibition. Scrapbook notes 'first show of the year, my very first show, we won'.

The writeup that appeared in the paper for that contest didn't bother giving scores for anybody except the Firefighters:

Firefighters--63.90

Opti-Knights--no scores

Midlanders

St. John's Girls

Flying Dutchmen

My first show was in Cary, NC in 1981 with the Long Island Kingsmen. I believe we were in 6th, behind 27th, Bridgemen, Spirit, North Star and Defenders.

My first show was in Cary, NC in 1981 with the Long Island Kingsmen. I believe we were in 6th, behind 27th, Bridgemen, Spirit, North Star and Defenders.

Loved LI Kingsmen... homegrown - great staffs - Noel Borden and others.

One of Long Island's great success stories.

• Like 1

My first show marching in competition was in 1971, with the Sacred Heart Crusaders of Manville, NJ... an Eastern States circuit corps.

I was 12 years old.

I don't remember where the show was, or what we scored... but I do remember being so nervous I thought I might hyperventilate. LOL