Raiders Update From Camp. Have a few horn spots open.

As far as the amount of competitive shows, not many left on the east coast any more and DCI sets the tour.

I don't think that's entirely true either. In 2013 and prior years, Raiders attended the usual Open Class Northeast Tour in early July, followed by the usual Open Class Midwest Tour in late July. They did not perform the first tour last year, nor will they this year. I don't think that was DCI's decision, but Raiders' decision.

For example, 7th Regiment and Spartans are each attending Foxborough, MA - Bristol, RI - Clifton, NJ - Manchester, NH - New Haven, CT, before heading west. Raiders are only doing Clifton during that time. And given that there are only 5 corps booked for Manchester, and only 4 booked for New Haven, I don't think DCI or the show organizers are shutting them out.

Edited by Eleran

PS - just for full disclosure, my son marched with Raiders in 2014. There were good and bad points about the overall experience and the corps. I don't intend to air any dirty laundry here regarding the bad points, but the above items regarding their schedule are simply facts (and one reason my son chose to march elsewhere in 2015).

Revamped staff? Hasn't M. Hamilton been with the corps for years?

Was the staff the reason the corps had to beg for funds to go on the road?

There are numerous shows on the East Coast, looks to me like The Raiders cant afford to leave New Jersey until they leave for tour, if they leave for tour..... and of the only 2 other corps with single digit shows - one is from California and flies to the Midwest and the other is a second year corps.

Revamped staff? Hasn't M. Hamilton been with the corps for years?

Mike Hamilton was apparently associated with Raiders in the past, but I don't know all his history. In 2014, he wasn't part of the staff until late Spring, when they brought him in to work with brass. In November, Raiders announced the below as their staff (the news article is still on their website), but apparently Hamilton is now the Program Coordinator, and I believe the Brass Arranger as well, though I'm not certain. I don't have any details about the change in plans, or who else is still currently on staff.
Minesh Shah - Program Coordinator
Ian Flint - Drill Designer
Joseph Bergen - Front Ensemble Arranger
Miguel Bolivar - Brass Arranger
Leighann Fields - Choreographer
We would like to welcome back the following individuals to the design team:
John Forte - Battery Arranger
Alex Waite - Colorguard Designer
Jamie Szeinberg - Program Advisor
PJ Tankard - Choreographer

I'm not sure what brings out the aggression about this corps, but they seem to have it together this season. I competed against them years ago with Golden Lancers and East Coast Jazz. I'm surprised, in a good way, that they've survived 25 years which seems to be a rather large feat for corps that started in the 90s. Heck, that's a feat for corps in general. I think they chose to look at the schedule and decide to attend what they were financially able to. If more corps did that, instead of simply saying ok, I've no doubt that Teal Sound, East Coast Jazz, Les Etoiles, Magic of Orlando, Glassmen... etc etc etc. would still be around. Bingo isn't exactly paying bills like it used to, and NEA grants are becoming scarce for large theatres and other artistic non-profits. So I think a little credit is due to keeping them alive. They had about 30 brass this weekend and look to shoot to add another 10. Either way, the members seemed to have a good time, and they played some challenging music pretty well for a first read.

• Like 1

To be honest, at the December open house camp I thought the percussion sounded awesome but the brass was a little worrisome. At the January camp the percussion was still awesome but the brass, man they sounded great by the show and tell. They came a long way in 2 days. Good job staff and kids.

I would rather my son got to march more shows but he didn't make his dream corps and wants to march this summer and Raiders were closest. Cadets and Surf are close to where the Raiders are but once he met the Raiders he wanted to march with them. He really likes the kids and staff. We'll see I guess.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Mike Hamilton is the brass arranger at my local high school marching band where we won this past season of 2014 due to his great work. After being taught by him for the 5 years spent with him, I'm sure he'll work his magic with the Raiders also.