National Signing Day...(that really matters!)

35% from the Athletic Department is a pretty big chunk of money.

Yes, but if the Athletic Department is operating at a loss, then how much of that 35% is simply coming from the general university funds, passing through the Athletic Department?

The mere existence of such arrogance presumes the band exists for the football game not for the university or the education of the students involved.

Why yes, I think that pretty much IS the assumption by most people outside the band itself, and maybe many inside.

Auburn University athletic department pledged 1.5 mill for a new 11 mill practice facility for the band.

Hmmmm...makes me wonder...IF (or more hopefully, AS) more Universities step forward with actions such as Auburn's -- how much of it could be interpreted as being a result of a "Rome Factor" (in other words, wishing to separate themselves from the onus of being associated with "band bashers")? Just a thought...

Edited by HornTeacher

Most DI universities run their athletic bands (marching and pep) as a function of the athletic department and as a subset of athletic budgets. Pledging dollars to those groups is nice. But to be clear, this not the same as pledging dollars to the music school or music dept or whatever you want to call it within a university.

Auburn University athletic department pledged 1.5 mill for a new 11 mill practice facility for the band.

If we're talking about the same facility, it was approved by the board of trustees in 2010. The pledge from the Athletic department took place in 2012, and as of February 2013 the fundraising drive was still short of the $5.5 million mark (which the university stated it would match through private funds). A press release at the time stated:

The Band Practice Facility project was approved by the Board of Trustees in 2010 and will provide more than 32,500 square feet of space for the nationally renowned program. The total cost of the facility is estimated at $10 million and will feature a concert band rehearsal hall, percussion studio, marching band rehearsal hall, practice studios, administrative offices, archive gallery and a music library.

From the sounds of things, it appears that the project would have applications beyond simply the Marching Band. I'll see what more I can find on the matter...

• Like 1

Auburn takes their Marching Band seriously. In terms of equipment, they've got a front ensemble that that could rival a lot of Top12 corps. I'm looking at a photo of them front last year and can see at least 9 fullsize keyboards. yowza.

If we're talking about the same facility, it was approved by the board of trustees in 2010. The pledge from the Athletic department took place in 2012, and as of February 2013 the fundraising drive was still short of the $5.5 million mark (which the university stated it would match through private funds).

So in 5 years they still haven't raised $10 million to build a permanent facility,because they need donors to supply the money.

Yet in the mean time, they agreed to pay $11.09 million just to buy out the contracts of their 2013 coaching staff after a 3-9 record.

Excuse me for not changing my mind about how screwed up college priorities are.

Yeah like Mingus said, at OU the Pride is part of the Athletic Dept. So are the Mens and Womens BBall bands. So they already pay for everything. Well and it might have changed but they paid us for BBall bands back in the day when I was in them.

I did think it was cool we were one of the 7 schools listed by the commission that made money. But with oil prices down they had to delay a stadium expansion till next year. Here low oil prices are bad.