Relaxed/strict drum corps rehearsal

I was a member of one the corps with a more "relaxed" rehearsal style. We typically got more floor time than other corps, our water breaks (Gatorade was always available as well) usually lasted about five to ten minutes, and in sectionals the staff would always try to find shade for us to rehearse under. We typically got more free days than other corps too.

But.... given all that it was still bar none the hardest thing (mentally, emotionally and physically) I have ever done. No matter what corps you go to you will get used to the fact that, aside from meal breaks and precious sleep time, every single second of your day for months you will expected to be doing something to make the corps better. Every person who has ever marched, regardless of the corps, has shared experiences. Freezing cold showers. Scalding hot showers. Gyms that are 90 degrees with lights that won't turn off. Trying to navigate your way through a sea of bodies in a pitch black gym in the middle of the night because you need to take a ####. Unbelievably hot days with no clouds. Never ending bus rides. Having to gather all your belongings in the middle of the night because your bus broke down and you may not see it for a couple days, or ever again. Thinking laundry is the most exciting thing you've ever done. The list goes on forever. These aren't a negative, I swear. They are part of what makes marching during the summer so unique, amazing and memorable.

Long story short, you shouldn't overthink it too much. If it's you're dream to march, go with your gut and try out for the corps you like the best. And don't get discouraged if you don't make the first one you try out for. There are always corps looking for members. My sister tried out for Star in '92 and got cut in April. She ended up marching Colts and absolutely loving her experience.

• Like 1