Relaxed/strict drum corps rehearsal

I would suggest using last year's placements as a rough guide to the intensity of training involved. I have heard directors of lower corps brag, in a way, about how the level of training is right-sized in their corps, and even that the top corps are too much for the kids. Granted, this was many years ago and always had a sour grapes ring to it, and also invited the unasked question, "How would you know?". (It was good that I had the ability not to verbalize everything that came into my head).

Also, the lower corps generally contain younger kids who aren't being pushed as hard for that reason.

Finally, be aware that the open class corps often do a much shorter tour to start with, so even if the training is intense for a month or so, that may be appropriate for your first year.

I would say go for it! Don't be surprised if you want to work harder the following year.

That's the way it was in BD when I marched...I felt the pressure FAR more from the vets than I EVER from from the staff.

'Course, those same vets also led by example...they were always the first to ting the horn bell to acknowledge a frack, drop for pushups, run back to their sets, etc...

Making a mistake was not the issue -- especially early on in learning a chart or drill -- not acknowledging the mistake was yours was by FAR the greater sin.

They set a great example for rookies like me to follow...and that gets passed on.

The staff only need ex[plain what they want done, how to do it, and channel the energy.

Was ist das ting the bell? I never heard of that one. Is that a BD specific thing or did I just miss out?

I would suggest using last year's placements as a rough guide to the intensity of training involved. I have heard directors of lower corps brag, in a way, about how the level of training is right-sized in their corps, and even that the top corps are too much for the kids. Granted, this was many years ago and always had a sour grapes ring to it, and also invited the unasked question, "How would you know?". (It was good that I had the ability not to verbalize everything that came into my head).

Also, the lower corps generally contain younger kids who aren't being pushed as hard for that reason.

I assure you, at least where I come from, people don't get in this drum corps business to "not push as hard" as the top corps Edited by SpenceriEuph
  • Like 1

Looking back, some of my best classes in high school and college were the classes where at the time I hated the instructor because of the intense demands he or she put on me. By contrast, at the time, I loved the relaxed teachers that were easy on us . But looking back now years later, I find that those teachers in my easy classes were just wimpy and pandering teachers that really were just lazybones copouts that did us no favors at all long term. I don 't even remember their names . They became forgettable. But I recall the instructors that were far from " relaxing" and pushed me to levels of demand that at the time I did not know I had within me to reach . These teachers long term became the most memorable for me personsally, despite the fact that I cursed and hated them at the time .

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 4

They became forgettable. But I recall the instructors that were far from " relaxing" and pushed me to levels of demand that at the time I did not know I had within me to reach . These teachers long term became the most memorable for me personsally, despite the fact that I cursed and hated them at the time .

And the names of some of those DI's?

Was ist das ting the bell? I never heard of that one. Is that a BD specific thing or did I just miss out?

If you fracked a note during rehearsals, you'd reach forward and flick the bell of your horn with a finger to make a "ting" sound. Might've been BD specific...we never did that in Empire, Dagenham, or SoCal Dream (not as a group that is...the BD alums sometimes did it)

If you fracked a note during rehearsals, you'd reach forward and flick the bell of your horn with a finger to make a "ting" sound. Might've been BD specific...we never did that in Empire, Dagenham, or SoCal Dream (not as a group that is...the BD alums sometimes did it)

OMG, that's right, "ting" being the brass equivalent of a bzzzzzt! Now I remember why my bell had so many dents in it.

frankv, it's a good question and a good discussion, even though you may not be getting the feedback you expected. Drum corps is not for everybody, and if it's not for you, it would be better to find that out now than after you'd joined. Maybe you can realign your expectations and decide this is a challenge you want to take on. Note the positives being discussed that balance out the pressure for most marching members.