2015 Season Audio Performance Downloads?

From what I have heard from someone at DCI ... they are still recording them at shows and hope to be able to release them soon. That's all I've heard.

• Like 1

From what I have heard from someone at DCI ... they are still recording them at shows and hope to be able to release them soon. That's all I've heard.

Very good news. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Any update here?

Yeah, I really hope someone from DCI is reading this forum. I've always bought audio recordings. I am not a bootlegger. I have end of year recordings from years I've turned out for shows, and for years I entirely missed the activity. I've bought mid-season audio and bought audio for individual years and shows I really wanted. I've never in my life bootlegged a show. I'm willing to show DCI my iPod and my computer to prove this.

(I think part of what makes me feel strongly about this is that wherever you go now, everyone assumes that everyone else is going to steal as much intellectual property and copyrighted material as they can get away with. It's true for music, it's true for movies, it's true for video games, it's true for e-books. A priori, everyone assumes everyone else is a criminal, and treats them that way.)

I think showing up at finals without any kind of musical foreknowledge of the material puts the listener at a real deficit. Holding off selling the mid-season audio isn't going to make me pay for the video because I have a wife and young kids and a career etc etc. I'm not some retiree that can drive around the country seeing shows at my leisure or even block off a weekend night to lock myself in a room and ignore my family to watch the video. I can't make those things work. I've been interrupted by kids five times in the course of typing this one message - honestly!

The way I familiarize myself with the shows for a season (before it's over) is to buy the audio and to listen to it on my commutes. That's what makes me want to see the shows. That's the best advertising they have for guys like me. Holding back the audio doesn't make me want to dash out to Austin to see a show, or to pay for a season's worth of video, because these really aren't viable options for me. Holding back the audio wants me to see the shows less, because I can't hear them in my head, I don't know what they even sound like.

If they can sell you the video mid-season, I don't get why they can't sell you the audio. I'm really not buying the licensing story. It makes me angry to think I am being manipulated to get some more money out of me. I've spent thousands of dollars on this activity (and I never even marched in it.) I've got CDs, videos, tour shirts, sweaters, I come out for shows whenever I can. I got three day tickets to Indianapolis this year, I'm bringing my wife for the first time in her life, I drag other people to shows whenever I can. I'm a lifelong fan, I'm exactly the kind of fan they want, and if they are ticking me off, then the problem is on their side, not mine.

If they're taping the shows, then they have the audio. They sold the mid-season audio last year, and the year before that, and the year before that, and the year before that. Just do the same thing.

Edited by newdaddy
  • Like 1

Yeah, I really hope someone from DCI is reading this forum. I've always bought audio recordings. I am not a bootlegger. I have end of year recordings from years I've turned out for shows, and for years I entirely missed the activity. I've bought mid-season audio and bought audio for individual years and shows I really wanted. I've never in my life bootlegged a show. I'm willing to show DCI my iPod and my computer to prove this.

(I think part of what makes me feel strongly about this is that wherever you go now, everyone assumes that everyone else is going to steal as much intellectual property and copyrighted material as they can get away with. It's true for music, it's true for movies, it's true for video games, it's true for e-books. A priori, everyone assumes everyone else is a criminal, and treats them that way.)

I think showing up at finals without any kind of musical foreknowledge of the material puts the listener at a real deficit. Holding off selling the mid-season audio isn't going to make me pay for the video because I have a wife and young kids and a career etc etc. I'm not some retiree that can drive around the country seeing shows at my leisure or even block off a weekend night to lock myself in a room and ignore my family to watch the video. I can't make those things work. I've been interrupted by kids five times in the course of typing this one message - honestly!

The way I familiarize myself with the shows for a season (before it's over) is to buy the audio and to listen to it on my commutes. That's what makes me want to see the shows. That's the best advertising they have for guys like me. Holding back the audio doesn't make me want to dash out to Austin to see a show, or to pay for a season's worth of video, because these really aren't viable options for me. Holding back the audio wants me to see the shows less, because I can't hear them in my head, I don't know what they even sound like.

If they can sell you the video mid-season, I don't get why they can't sell you the audio. I'm really not buying the licensing story. It makes me angry to think I am being manipulated to get some more money out of me. I've spent thousands of dollars on this activity (and I never even marched in it.) I've got CDs, videos, tour shirts, sweaters, I come out for shows whenever I can. I got three day tickets to Indianapolis this year, I'm bringing my wife for the first time in her life, I drag other people to shows whenever I can. I'm a lifelong fan, I'm exactly the kind of fan they want, and if they are ticking me off, then the problem is on their side, not mine.

If they're taping the shows, then they have the audio. They sold the mid-season audio last year, and the year before that, and the year before that, and the year before that. Just do the same thing.

Agreed, and well said. I am in exactly the same boat - missing out on having the APD's to listen to on my way to Allentown next week is going to kill me...

If they can sell you the video mid-season, I don't get why they can't sell you the audio.

AFAIK, DCI is now holding off on selling ANY recordings (audio or video, mid season or end of season) until all of the rights issues have been completely worked out.

I feel your pain, though - the changing landscape of rights issues has made the DCI recording process a complete minefield.

Edited by Quad Aces

I SECOND this statement completely! I am so angry that dci has taken these things away from us fans!

If they can sell you the video mid-season, I don't get why they can't sell you the audio. I'm really not buying the licensing story. It makes me angry to think I am being manipulated to get some more money out of me.

They can't sell you either right now. Or I suppose they could, but they're afraid they'll lose a lawsuit. The licensing story is real. Why would DCI deliberately turn away a chance to take your money?

Yeah, don't get angry at DCI, they're victims of the record labels too.

Well why would the licensing situation be any better on August 30th than it is on July 15th? I'm willing to believe any rational story, I really do love DCI, but the story's got to make some kind of sense, and they've got to be transparent about it.

I still suspect that really either they want you to buy DCI Live! instead, or they've just decided the mid-season audio is too much work for too little revenue. Or both. They could charge me as much for the audio recordings as they would for a mid-season DCI Live! show, and I would be ok with that. But I want to underline that the DCI Live shows simply don't work for me, it's not that I'm trying to be cheap, they wouldn't work for me at any price at all. Audio recordings and live video are two different classes of things, they're not the same, one can't be substituted for the other.

And the mid-season audio is valuable, for me, until the moment the finals recordings become available. Last year I bought a round of mid-seasons and then the finals CDs. This year, it looks to me like I'll only be buying the finals CDs, so this is just lost revenue for DCI.

Or it's simply bad, uncaring stewardship of the activity. Repertoires are settled by what? March or April? And they can't get the rights issues worked out, even though they could every prior year?

I'd like to hear or read something directly from DCI on this issue. I'm going to mail DCI directly and tell them how I feel about this issue, and I hope others will do that too.