2015 Season Audio Performance Downloads?

edit

Edited by lastknight

How the flip did some company get the rights to DCI related music/videos?!? That is akin to producing something and then having that taken right out from under your nose and held hostage! This company has no rights to do that! I hope this goes to court sometime in the near future and DCI wins a huge settlement. DCI IS Drum Corps and has every right to the music IT promotes and has helped to create and sustain! This is such BS it's unreal. And folks wonder why people look to the black market. It's BS like this when greedy companies act in this manner..... I haven't purchased APD's in a few years now and sadly was considering it this season with all the excellent shows being produced and then I find this nonsense..... guess I'm forced to look elsewhere. Greed is destructive everywhere it's propagated....

Edited by Sportster

How the flip did some company get the rights to DCI related music/videos?!? That is akin to producing something and then having that taken right out from under your nose and held hostage! This company has no rights to do that! I hope this goes to court sometime in the near future and DCI wins a huge settlement. DCI IS Drum Corps and has every right to the music IT promotes and has helped to create and sustain! This is such BS it's unreal. And folks wonder why people look to the black market. It's BS like this when greedy companies act in this manner..... I haven't purchased APD's in a few years now and sadly was considering it this season with all the excellent shows being produced and then I find this nonsense..... guess I'm forced to look elsewhere. Greed is destructive everywhere it's propagated....

Here's approximately how a situation like this might have happened:

Licensing companies already owned these rights. For instance, one of them owns the rights to Andrew Lloyd Webber's Phantom of the Opera. But years ago, Santa Clara Vanguard negotiated licenses from that company allowing the corps to arrange and perform that music, and DCI negotiated licenses to make and sell audio and video recordings of the music. Then about a dozen years ago, DCI decided that they also wished to show and sell these same recordings on the Internet, which nobody ever thought of doing in 1988. Presumably DCI went back to the company and negotiated a license to do that. (If they didn't, then they're in bigger trouble than we thought.)

Then Tresona acquired that company (and others). Tresona wants to maximize the value of its purchase. So its lawyers review the contracts with DCI very carefully. And the lawyers find some loopholes in the agreements. Maybe the agreements allow for downloads, but it's not absolutely clear that they allow for streaming. DCI had thought the agreement gave them that right, but Tresona's lawyers threaten them with a huge lawsuit, and DCI isn't absolutely sure it can win--or even afford to go to trial. So DCI pulls some things, and later everything, off the Fan Network, just to be safe, and goes back to the negotiating table with Tresona. Eventually some sort of agreement will be worked out. Probably. Tresona is also losing money right now, but they're gambling that DCI is losing more, and will hurt more, so that in the end, DCI will pay a higher licensing rate to allow the videos to be streamed and downloaded.

They'd better, or Tresona will start to question why they're paying the firm such a hefty retainer.

• 1 month later...

Too late, looking elsewhere. Not DCI's fault but I sure as hades don't want to support a lawyer driven corporation who's attempting to extort more $$ from DCI, a organization who does great things for the youth of this nation. Screw them....eat your recording contracts, pal.....there are other means to a end. And if I were DCI, I would attempt to find ways, legal ways, around this company that's extorting them so as to not have to deal with them in the future. Because I sure as hell want not one red cent from me to go to this firm!

Edited by Sportster

First time in 10 (!) years that there was no way to be able to listen to shows during the season. Wonder how this could have been prevented.

• Like 1

Found this organizations email to contact them- info@tresonamusic.com I let them have it good. I suggest you do the same. What they're doing is utterly disgusting.....

Are we sure this is the right company?? I got a email back

Dear sir, I am not sure what this is in reference to. I believe you have contacted the wrong company. Cordially, Mark Greenburg, President, The Licensing Exchange, Tresonamusic.com

Got a feeling there's a chicken in the hen house here and he doesn't want to acknowledge it. This is Tresona that's been talked about......

Edited by Sportster