1992 Crossmen (early season)

Probably still one of my favorite shows ever. I just came across this video today and wow it is rough!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R_QDDmz8p0

I'm not certain of the date but it is prior to their first competition on June 25th of that year. It's hard to believe it's the same corps in Late August! I definitely don't remember them being quite so dirty when I saw them in early July but then again I was 13 and that was 23 years ago. One thing that amazes me is how similar the final product is two months later. Very few changes to that show. Just LOTS of cleaning!

Since they were beating Cadets I really wish somebody had an early season video of that show. I have heard many times the Cadets looked pretty raw that year.

Edited by jbeatty89

I remember this! We warmed up with a beautiful view of Lower Manhattan. We were the encore of a senior corps show. My first drum corps show before an audience. This was before move-in in Bensalem, I'm almost sure of it, which makes it either late May or early June. I want to say May 31, but that can't be right. A lot of changes were made, a LOT of changes.

Yes, Cadets of Bergen County had it rough out of the gate. They were sixth at DCI Preview of Champions. They did one of their patented late 80s/early 90s surges.

Edited by mfrontz
  • Like 1

Crossmen 92, wow what a show! Come mid july I felt they had 7th place locked up, but Phantom Regiment ended up being a wild card. Phantom initially was rated much higher at earlier points in the season. I think once they slid into the 6 spot at Quarter Finals (?) that the marchers began to lose some hope. On Finals night it really looked to me like Phantom just decided to play and march without the discipline they typically have. They got knocked down to 8th by the judges, SCV was moved up to 7th, and Crossmen took 6th.

It's not fair to say that Crossmen or SCV got their places because of Phantom's demise. Each corps earned their spot, but Phantom's demise that night did open the door.

• Like 1

Probably still one of my favorite shows ever. I just came across this video today and wow it is rough!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R_QDDmz8p0

I'm not certain of the date but it is prior to their first competition on June 25th of that year. It's hard to believe it's the same corps in Late August! I definitely don't remember them being quite so dirty when I saw them in early July but then again I was 13 and that was 23 years ago. One thing that amazes me is how similar the final product is two months later. Very few changes to that show. Just LOTS of cleaning!

Since they were beating Cadets I really wish somebody had an early season video of that show. I have heard many times the Cadets looked pretty raw that year.

final ending came right before Allentown, and boom the show took off. there's video showing the ending each day from the change going in until finals. amazing

and yes, the show did change little in major ways, if you saw it enough you saw tons of small tweaks.

still in my top 4 all time

• Like 2

So looks like it was June 13th. http://dcacorps.org/historical-scores/1992.pdf

Whoever posted this video posted a couple of Archie classics this week as well. Quarters Finals and some bits from the guard, score announcements, and Journey Under the Sun encore. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDgrX-BouHiEwnnIKR9xLdw

• Like 1

The story of the 1992 Cadets (of Bergen County) has been told often here. I saw them early in Hershey, PA. I thought the show was awesome out of the gate. But they had only 52 brass or something like that to start with. Perhaps they had a lot of injuries, some drop outs, who knows? They just seemed dirty, with a show not fully learned. But as I saw a number of the other top contenders I kept thinking that none of them had the show Cadets had (in terms of demand and GE). So to me, it was only a matter of time that Cadets would clean and begin over taking most of those groups. It took them a while, but in the end the brilliance of that show design shined through, only falling short of a clean and excellent Cavaliers corps.

Having said that, I still expected it to be Star of Indiana winning with Cadets 2nd. Star's fall to 3rd shocked me (what a brass line).

It's not fair to say that Crossmen or SCV got their places because of Phantom's demise. Each corps earned their spot, but Phantom's demise that night did open the door.

2nd place in field percussion and 4th overall percussion speaks for itself...

Also, note that the contras and the pit are wearing member jackets rather than uniform tops, and the guard unis are not dyed the 'earth tones' yet.

June 13 sounds more right than May 31.

I remain (gladly) amazed at the continued popularity of Crossmen 1992.

So looks like it was June 13th. http://dcacorps.org/historical-scores/1992.pdf

Whoever posted this video posted a couple of Archie classics this week as well. Quarters Finals and some bits from the guard, score announcements, and Journey Under the Sun encore. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDgrX-BouHiEwnnIKR9xLdw

Gosh, was this really twenty-three years ago? :)