Drums Along the Columbia -- Pasco (Tri-Cities), WA -- Mon. July 6

It is a shame the Columbians couldn't make the So Cal Classic Open Class Championships scheduled on 7/12. That would have been a better season-ender for them IMO. The line-up includes most of the western Open Class corps with the exception of them: Blue Devils B, Vanguard Cadets, Golden Empire, Gold, Impulse, Watchmen, Incognito, Thunder, Blue Devils C.

Having said that, I understand that adding just one more week to their schedule has big cost implications, so good for them to keep the season short and sweet!

There's one other western O.C. corps besides Columbians who won't be at Bellflower: Eruption. But kudos to both of them for knowing their financial limits. I do hope there is video of Columbians' show online somewhere. Based on raw score, Columbians concluded their season in third place overall for Open Class, tied with 7th Regiment at 58.200 and ahead of Legends, Spartans, and Genesis. (Ranked this way, Eruption finished at 12th, behind Colt Cadets and ahead of Impulse).

Edited by N.E. Brigand

There's one other western O.C. corps besides Columbians who won't be at Bellflower: Eruption. But kudos to both of them for knowing their financial limits. I do hope there is video of Columbians' show online somewhere. Based on raw score, Columbians concluded their season in third place overall for Open Class, tied with 7th Regiment at 58.200 and ahead of Legends, Spartans, and Genesis. (Ranked this way, Eruption finished at 12th, behind Colt Cadets and ahead of Impulse).

HEY. Nice to have you back.

HEY. Nice to have you back.

Thanks. I was neither eaten by a bear nor blown off a snowy cliff while backpacking in Newfoundland.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

I wonder if the Cascades' increase in membership had anything to do with OC's slight decline in that department. OC went from an 80 member hornline to maybe around 60, and the guard is maybe only 20-25 members. I find it strange that they couldn't recruit more in that department. I do know, however, that a fellow M######## I went to school with was a late caption head addition, so I wonder if there was some turmoil there with the prior caption head.

Edit: Darn filters... doesn't DCP know Ma$$hole is now in the dictionary? :)

Edited by Musicman1084

OC and the Cascades are targeting the recruiting of different members.

The Cascades are recruiting primarily in the Puget Sound area, followed by Washington and then the NW. Only about 5% of its members are from outside the NW. Because the local high schools run classes into the third week of June, and the main universities are on a quarter systems, the Cascades do not start all-days after the second week of June. Much of the Cascades staff also teach through the second and third week of June

OC has restructured to recruit college-age talent who can start all-days on June 1st. They made some significant changes in staffing to meet the business plan. A late change in the gaurd staff also occured. Given the major changes in OC's program, I am impressed that they are fielding 142 members. I would need to confirm with the OC staff, but to me is seems that the threshold of talent is distinctly higher than last year. When the late joining members are integrated, OC will be at 72 brass.

Over the past few years, OC did benefit from a few members from the Cascades moving to OC. This year the Cascades retained a high percentage of vets (~70%). I don’t think anyone went from the Cascades to OC, but I don’t know that for certain. With the growth of Open Class drum corps in the Northwest (3 Open Class corps with a 4th planned for next years), I expect that OC will become a destination corps for many of those graduating members.

• Like 1

I expect that OC will become a destination corps for many of those graduating members.

I certainly hope not and would not discount Cascades from attaining said membership

Cascades have made solid strides in reinventing themselves this year. I believe they are much improved and hopefully, started to trend this direction. The new Uniforms are a great change and I was glad to see the improvement.

OC is going to be an improved corps over last year, but will it be enough to move up in the final rankings. Last year, was the first year they moved backwards in a long time. I like most of the design staff changes that were made in the off season. It is unfortunate that there was a guard staffing issue. Hopefully, that will be overcome by the time finals has arrived. I have not seen a show from a good viewing point since their preview in late June.

The Columbians are growing and improving all at the same time. I hope they take it slow before the commit to a national tour and please take their time in making this decision. I love this years show and I hope they continue to grow.