Atlanta Logistics

The Georgia Dome does not have a choice but to enforce certain NFL rules including the mirror checks as you enter the Dome loading docks from the GWCC docks at all times and for all events. On a daily basis, every truck, whether it is loading an event in or delivering Bud Light or a FedEx truck has to have the vehicle checked with the mirror scan. They also enforce the same bag check rules as they would for an NFL game - certain items are not permitted into the facility and bags can only be so large.

The Dome is HUGE when it comes to the safety of their guests, event participants and staff. The fact that Lucas Oil does not enforce such rules is a little scary especially given the things happening around the country and world. I wouldn't expect it at the local DCI events around the country, but when you are at a large venue like the GA Dome, Lucas Oil, DATR or San Antonio, I'd sure expect and want the 'inconvenience' of having my bag checked and vehicles that are pulling into the loading docks of the venue checked.

Fourth, to the poster that complained about traffic control following the event and compared it to Falcons games. Note that the officers are paid for by the event so you shouldn't be surprised that DCI did not want to pay for a whole bunch of traffic control officers. They kept this to the minimum they had to do. If you live in the burbs, go to the nearest MARTA station on your way into town and get off at the stop right next to the Dome. You won't have to sit in any traffic, problem solved.

Not disagreeing with much you posted other than maybe this (since it's in response to my comment!). MARTA isn't a viable option (at least for me). I've used it for work and events downtown (Peachtree Road Race, games, etc.) and it simply doesn't work well enough. Comments received from friends who tried to take it home Saturday night confirmed that (too crowded, not enough trains running, no A/C, etc.), just as the city/event hosts don't handle large events well, neither does MARTA.

As to hiring officers for traffic control let's do some back of the napkin figuring. The main area of concern is Ivan Allen Blvd from the Dome to Williams Street (where you can pick up the connector going either north or south). There are maybe 8 intersections between the Dome and there so:

10 Officers @ $100/hour for 4 hours (only need at event end as most attendees trickle in during the day) = $4,000. Even if you double that to $8,000, and realizing that's $8,000 less going to corps and DCI, it still provides for a more enjoyable experience exiting the stadium for those that paid to attend.

Edited by Rufus67

I agree with you that MARTA's schedule isn't perfect, but it has greatly improved over the last year or so. I would have expected more trains to be running as the V103 event is known for heavy ridership. The DCI event though probably hasn't had huge ridership in the past. As to no a/c I thought all trains had a/c, maybe not the stations which is pretty rare to see anywhere. I have to disagree with you that the 'city doesn't handle large events well'...if this were the case, we wouldn't be hosting some of the premiere events we do host and are likely to host in the next few years (huge concerts, conventions that top 50,000 attendees on a regular basis, NCAA bowl games and championship game, Super Bowl, etc...). Are there areas to improve in, of course, but Atlanta knows how to host large events.

I'm certainly not disagreeing with you on more traffic officers making the egress experience more pleasant and fast but looking at who takes the cost is always the challenge. The GWCCA Police can only cover so much area that is in their jurisdiction while the City of Atlanta has to do the rest (Most of Ivan Allen Blvd is not on the GWCCA campus). If the event is willing to take on that cost great, if not, it isn't always going to happen unfortunately.

• Like 1

I also had a big problem with them only letting the mass crowd in 30 minutes before the first corps goes on... and then back EVERYONE up to go through the bag check lines EVEN WHEN MOST DIDN'T EVEN HAVE A BAG! How about separate lines...I mean cmon - I'm sure the corps souvi booths would have liked the crowd in earlier too to give them more time to spend $

Edited by dcibrando

The gate opening time is set by DCI, not the GA Dome. Probably worth a note to them as I agree, 30 minutes isn't long enough.

Not sure about the gate-opening issue as we arrived around 1pm (our son was performing in one of the DCA corps and we wanted to be sure we didn't miss it) and got right in. I realize this is probably not when the bulk of folks arrived however...