Quincy?

But I have to say, that's two corps in a row with major golden opportunities to showcase their brass section with musical selections that have amazing, recognizable melodies. Not to speak negatively of the singers, but they will never have the same impact that the brass could have. Both corps' designers totally missed the mark this year.

I understand the point, but this year's show is not one where I come away feeling like Troopers brass was holding out on me. It is a brass-rich show. Could it be, um, brass richer? I suppose so. Whether that's hurting them on the sheets, I have no idea.

Maybe so, but Troop has been outscoring Colts in music captions by a decent margin for a while. It's the visual captions where Colts have had the edge

Agreed! Music has been the issue for Colts all year! Color guard and visual has been very strong compared to the others scoring around them.

Having seen both of these corps several times...I think in terms of visual dirt that weighs on the side of Colts....that said I think they have the most room to grow going into finals week...love troop but I think they may be peaking...I will see both of them this Saturday...perhaps my opinion will change after that...

As I've said in other posts, I'm a little biased with having a son in the Colts but I agree that they have the most room to grow yet. That is not a knock against any other corps but if (and only if) they maximize their potential in the next week, they could make a run at the top 12.

• Like 3

Just unifying marching technique would go a long way toward maximizing Troopers' potential. As for room to grow, it may be true that Colts have more headroom. Based on last night's sheets, however, There was a couple points' worth of cont-ach spread in various captions still on the table. In this pack, a couple points is like a mile. And there was a wonky 84/78 split in one of the GE captions, very unusual. Had the spread been the typical .2 or .3, that alone would have been enough to put Troop over Colts last night.

It's so close that an errant breeze at the wrong moment can make the difference.

• Like 3

As I've said in other posts, I'm a little biased with having a son in the Colts but I agree that they have the most room to grow yet. That is not a knock against any other corps but if (and only if) they maximize their potential in the next week, they could make a run at the top 12.

I'm biased as well with a son on the snare line.....however, I'm feeling very good about their chances. They are definitely fighting it out with Troop and Academy, so they have their work cut out for them. The fact that Colts has steadily increased in scoring makes me think that what they are doing is working. Keep it up Colts!!!

• Like 4

I'm biased as well with a son on the snare line.....however, I'm feeling very good about their chances. They are definitely fighting it out with Troop and Academy, so they have their work cut out for them. The fact that Colts has steadily increased in scoring makes me think that what they are doing is working. Keep it up Colts!!!

Agreed! Beats, are you headed to Indy? We will be sitting in the Colts section all three nights!

• Like 1

Agreed! Beats, are you headed to Indy? We will be sitting in the Colts section all three nights!

Yes!! We will be there and will also be in the Colts section all three nights! Looking forward to it, and look forward to meeting you!

• Like 2

It's not the end of the world if they don't make it...I hope they do...perhaps they might just do that...I never marched Saturday night...both my years...and I wouldn't trade the experience I had for anything else on this planet...I get more rapped up in scores now....never did when I actually marched...that is not what it was all about...

• Like 6

Just got home from my brutal 3 minute walk... :)

The steady drizzle continues. I really enjoy Boston's how, but I completely understand why they are scoring as they have been. Guard is a major highlight with this corps, and rightfully so. Unlike the former two, I feel Boston utilizes vocals well. The singer is not carrying the melody and is in a sense providing solely added effect. The drum stage dead center is a great opening sequence as well. Definitely a lot of dirt throughout, which I'm sure is a major reason why they're not challenging Madison. Staging a major issue with this show throughout - corps only goes beyond the front half of the field during the ballad.

Having seen both of these corps several times...I think in terms of visual dirt that weighs on the side of Colts....that said I think they have the most room to grow going into finals week...love troop but I think they may be peaking...I will see both of them this Saturday...perhaps my opinion will change after that...

I agree. There's definitely a lot of final tweaking and cleaning that I can see the Colts making that could propel them further. Lots of challenging visual moments throughout that I don't see in other corps around this range.

I understand the point, but this year's show is not one where I come away feeling like Troopers brass was holding out on me. It is a brass-rich show. Could it be, um, brass richer? I suppose so. Whether that's hurting them on the sheets, I have no idea.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you on this point. The Troop's show is already very brass-rich, as you say, and they sound phenomenal. I'm not a drum corps purist in any sense of the word, but I do often ask myself "does this make sense." My line of thinking with certain effects or design choices is usually the following: Does it make you enjoy it more? Does it make you enjoy it less? Would you enjoy it more if responsibilities were shifted elsewhere? .... My view falls in between those last two for both the Colts and Troopers (edit: and also the Cavies). It takes more away from the show than it adds, at least for me. I understand how it may add to the show lyrically, but in those cases, what is the point of then hearing 10-20 seconds of "yeahhhh-eeeee-yeahhhh woooo-OOOHHHH-oooooo?"

Edited by Musicman1084
  • Like 1