Caption Winners

G.E.

Crown: 77.95

BD: 76.85

Coats: 76.50

Cadets: 76.00

Crown wins GE easily tonight (barring a meltdown). BD would need a 1.1 gap tonight alone to match (tiebreaker) and win GE.

Visual Proficiency

BD: 39.0

Crown: 38.7

Coats: 38.1

Cadets: 38.2

It's BD's to win. CC would need a 0.3 spread. Possible but unlikely.

Color Guard

Crown: 38.5

BD: 38.4

Coats: 37.8

Cadets: 37.4

This one is most anticipated by me. BD has a SEVEN-YEAR stranglehold on this caption. If Crown wins, the crowd will go nuts. But BD only needs a 0.1 edge to get the trophy. (Crown was the DCI South spoiler last month---BD had won that regional *8* consec years.)

Brass

Crown: 38.8

Cadets: 38.8

BD: 38.3

Coats: 37.7

Tonight breaks the tie! Exciting! Another topic: I wonder if Paul McGarr, tonight's Brass judge (a) has seen the results (some judges don't look), and (b) realizes that the Jim Ott Award is solely his decision:) And it's also possible that he ranks BD first and ties CC/Cadets which could lead to a double winner.

Drums

Cadets: 38.85

SCV: 38.85

BD: 38.75

Coats: 38.50

Crown: 37.60 (for scale. Yikes.)

Also very interesting. Any one of three---ok, maybe kinda sorta four. HOWEVER: since there are two independent drum judges, SCV/Cadets could tie tonight. Ergo, two winners, since they're tied coming into tonight.

Analysis (Visual/Music)

Alas, these two captions get no love. To paraphrase S. Archer, they're the Dane Cook of DCI numbers.

Mike Turner rewarded CrownGUARD Thursday night. George O. rewarded BD. Marie Czapinski will follow suit and BD will prevail. Just my prediction.

• Like 1

All judges look.

"I wonder if Paul McGarr, tonight's Brass judge (a) has seen the results (some judges don't look)"

When is the last time that a corps won both brass and percussion but did not win the whole thing, as it is possible for Cadets to do?

Craziest possible outcome: Cadets win both Sanford and Ott, while placing 4th overall.

Not that crazy considering those captions fall in the caption that makes up 30% of their score. The other 70% are getting judged in 4th.

I don't get how BD's guard is outscoring Crown's at this point. Content alone should have Crown in front. BD is being rewarded for a less intricate program and less individual demand.

Later,

Mike

• Like 1

When is the last time that a corps won both brass and percussion but did not win the whole thing, as it is possible for Cadets to do?

The Blue Devils did it in the 80s.

Edited by cajal