Since I don't consider Channel One an opener......

Channel One Suite - Blue Devils '76-'77

This was really the 1st "production" that was done in DC, and was the longest "production" for years, over 7 min long.

Back in the day, by the time the last note of the tune was completed, you felt a sigh of relief.

Out of the 7 min, I believe we played "notes" 6 min solid...............the dbl strke rolls at the end of Channel One were a ##### :P

Edited by Blue Devil Legend

This was really the 1st "production" that was done in DC, and was the longest "production" for years, over 7 min long.

Back in the day, by the time the last note of the tune was completed, you felt a sigh of relief.

Out of the 7 min, I believe we played "notes" 6 min solid...............the dbl strke rolls at the end of Channel One were a ##### :P

Channel One in 77 was definitely a juggernaut. It had none of the halts that 76 version had. BD was definitely on cruise control.

• 3 weeks later...

Out of the 7 min, I believe we played "notes" 6 min solid...............the dbl strke rolls at the end of Channel One were a #####  :P

Huh, I'm wondering then what the definition of a "Production" is if BD was the first in '76. I recall that we always called Young Persons Guide our "Production" number. Obviously it wasn't as long as BDs Channel 1, but that is what we called it back in '73. That was the first time we used YPG between "Off the Line" and "Concert", basicly eliminating the "Color Pre" and "Into Concert" numbers.

• 7 months later...

Out of the 7 min, I believe we played "notes" 6 min solid...............the dbl strke rolls at the end of Channel One were a #####  :P

Actually a little corps. from Saratoga Springs NY called the Bethesda Emerald Knights in 1974 did a song called Halo of Flies by Alice Cooper that lasted 7 minutes and Dovoraks "New World" finished the show. No Concert. I realize smaller corps don't get veiwed as often but this still beats BD by a couple of years

Just a side note to that; Bethesda Emerald Knights were the very first corp to perform on day 2 of open class in Ithaca NY DCI. 8am in the morning. I don't remember the judges name but his first comment on tape was. "Wow- It's toooooo early for a show like this". Anyway the following year that corps., through a merger became Avant Garde! Edited by BariBrian

• 3 weeks later...

Even though I remember how revolutionary "Channel One Suite" was in '76,

I'm gonna have to side with Maggie on the "Variations on a Theme by Purcell"!!