Equal Advantage Scoring

the mantra for any judge at any show is "judge your caption and the show of the day".

as we saw in DCI, that can mean changes happen right up to the end

As I said earlier in the thread...

"You can't second guess what everyone else will or could do, you have to have an absolute and total trust in the rest of the panel to get their end right. Otherwise, the system gets cracks in it, and you could end up with a real mess." :satisfied:

Even the winds are shifting within certain captions, Jeff. for instance, Percussion has been the Bucs' bread and butter for... how many years!? I thought they played very well at Scranton, but were 3rd. Now C2 and Cabs have percussion ensembles that can take them on toe to toe.

"You can't second guess what everyone else will or could do, you have to have an absolute and total trust in the rest of the panel to get their end right. Otherwise, the system gets cracks in it, and you could end up with a real mess." :satisfied:

Even the winds are shifting within certain captions, Jeff. for instance, Percussion has been the Bucs' bread and butter for... how many years!? I thought they played very well at Scranton, but were 3rd. Now C2 and Cabs have percussion ensembles that can take them on toe to toe.

I havent seen Cabs live, but that was the eye opener ( in a good way). C2's percussion has been good since the corps was formed and they almost walked away with that last year.

It's refreshing to see wide open competition. After years of people #####ing and moaning about "being predictable"...well, now it's not. And of course people ##### and moan that it isn't.

As a judge, I can think of a few times having the ability to make minor tweaks would have had me sleeping better at night. I wouldn't use it all the time, but it would come in handy

Now, knowing more about this judging concept, it seems to me, performance order is still a factor, but less a factor. One advantage remains, I think, wherein the last performing corps has influence over the fate of the greatest number of participants. Wields the 'hammer,' so to speak. As an educator, I have come to know Psychology's Primacy and Recency Effect is true, and does comes into play here.

So, it appears, Equal Advantage Scoring was created to protect the influence of those who performed at another time, within the same event. I like and support such attempt. I do believe, in earlier times, performing first was a 'killer.' The ability to now revisit the caption is good.

As BigW cautions, the entire device only works if every adjudicator remains totally focused and true to just one caption. That he/she is unconcerned how the season progressed, or should have progressed. Such takes a high level of integrity. If we believe our judging panels have this quality, then all is well.

Anyone have additional thoughts to share?

Now, knowing more about this judging concept, it seems to me, performance order is still a factor, but less a factor. One advantage remains, I think, wherein the last performing corps has influence over the fate of the greatest number of participants. Wields the 'hammer,' so to speak. As an educator, I have come to know Psychology's Primacy and Recency Effect is true, and does comes into play here.

So, it appears, Equal Advantage Scoring was created to protect the influence of those who performed at another time, within the same event. I like and support such attempt. I do believe, in earlier times, performing first was a 'killer.' The ability to now revisit the caption is good.

As BigW cautions, the entire device only works if every adjudicator remains totally focused and true to just one caption. That he/she is unconcerned how the season progressed, or should have progressed. Such takes a high level of integrity. If we believe our judging panels have this quality, then all is well.

Anyone have additional thoughts to share?

Actually a good example where a particular judge may or may not have provided the best possible number. As per the recap for Scranton, while I can possibly agree with the ordinal for the guard caption, it appears that his number determined greatly the outcome of the show. I have seen most of the these corps at least once this year. And the top 3 guards have been super tight. While not at Scranton, I can't see such a huge spread considering the visual and visual effect numbers do not necessarily agree. Bad number management maybe?? And being only down by .05 had his number being somewhat close if not weighted equally to that of the visual and visual ex caption, Cabs would have won. Based on his number you'd think Cabs guard wasn't present at the show.. which I find hard to believe. If they do reexamine numbers at the end of the show, I don't see that this caption was judged equally. Just MPOV!

Edited by lovindrumcorps
  • Like 3

A lot of folks would have paid to see a drum corps contest, only to have a bunch of judges tell them they didn't.

VO Reason.

The person whose world ends when the Bucs don't win a show by at least three points. :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 4

I was shaking my head at this one. So the Bucs are closer to the White Sabers than they are to the Cabs in Percussion? Don't count on that holding up people.

I was shaking my head at this one. So the Bucs are closer to the White Sabers than they are to the Cabs in Percussion? Don't count on that holding up people.

Don't sell White Sabers' percussion short...that section is full of former Statesmen,

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 1

Don't sell White Sabers' percussion short...that section is full of former Statesmen,

That's not my point. The White Sabers have a nice percussion section. The Bucs were not third on Saturday by any stretch especially a half of a point below the Cabs. There were several caption scores that made me wonder if I was at the same show.

That's not my point. The White Sabers have a nice percussion section. The Bucs were not third on Saturday by any stretch especially a half of a point below the Cabs. There were several caption scores that made me wonder if I was at the same show.

Which was exactly my point a few posts up! It speaks volumes that as close as the Cabs were to the Bucs, there is absolutely nobody questioning the placements.