Troopers 2016

Demanding show, lots and lots of room to grow. Have I said lately how much I love that Troopers are playing Corigliano?

I'd rather have a more demanding show to grow into than one that is maxed out before Allentown. Need to clean, clean, clean and the scores should follow. Keep at it Troop!

Losing to Mandarins and Pac Crest in Visual last night....What the heck is going on Troop???

The past few years Troopers have been pretty dirty visually. I'm not sure if there is enough emphasis on visual instruction early in the season. As the late Mr. Jones would say..."Basics. Basics. Basics."

• Like 1

Wow...I thought this visual dirt situation was going to be fixed this season! Ironic coming from a corps historically known for its visual precision. Did they not do a clen sweep of its visual staff this past season? From what I have seen on the videos of Troop although the guard looks improved, and the uniforms actually help with clarity, the visual design still looks haphazard in many areas.

And those shallow arcs...too difficult to clean for the limited effect. Kind of a red flag here...maybe a change in actual drill design is called for?

There is much about the visual aspect of things that has me scratching my head. Indeed, the administration changed the visual instruction staff. They brought on Bob Barfield mid-tour last year to clean up the visual, and the positive impact was immediate. For 2016, Barfield has been in charge of on-field instruction since Day 1 of audition camps. Corps retention was about two-thirds, so all the pieces were in place to come out of the gate with a stronger visual game from the first competition. And the visual book is, without question, the most demanding since at least the return year of 2007.

I know almost nothing about the color guard discipline, but like you, I have heard, from people with better judgment than I, that the guard is improved.

So: The average age is up; the talent is solid and increasing year to year; the retention is good; the vis staff picked up where they left off during 2015; the book is full of potential reward; the guard is tracking upward -- yet the visual scores are lagging, and the color guard has been taking the brunt of it.

Darned if I know.

Robert W. Smith provides a designer's-eye view of "Hero."

https://youtu.be/X381zXETnqQ

I love this part of the show! It's also the most problematic right now in terms of communication of the idea. I know the Corigliano symphony fairly well and I am very moved that the Troopers are taking a moment to bring light to the topic of AIDS.

It's San Antonio Regional Day. GO TROOOOOOOOOP!!!!!