Alumni Spectacular in 2016?

Think about this...DCI offers nothing like this! Well , once in a while a corps puts together a large alumni corps (Madison, Anaheim, 27th and SCV). DCA gives many Alumni's a chance to perform. Keep this going since there are many corps still around to entertain the DCA crowd.

Well, as someone who performed with one of those mentioned alumni groups, i will say we didn't really intend to make more of it than those one or two times, or maybe at DCI finals at an anniversary year. DCA wasn't talked about because we never were a part of it. I don't want to speak for anyone in any of those organizations, or even my own alumni reunion projects, but it was special to us to only one certain event with a huge crowd.

agreed but...

DCA weekend pays the DCA members. If their show is at best breaking even, is it taking away money from the DCA members?

No, because the money for the alumni corps' comes strictly from the gate at the alumni show. Nothing is taken from the DCA competing corps'. Tom can verify this.

• Like 2

No, because the money for the alumni corps' comes strictly from the gate at the alumni show. Nothing is taken from the DCA competing corps'. Tom can verify this.

so if the alumni show is barely breaking even......if DCA is to move and they don't get the sweetheart stadium deal like they get n Rochester.....

>>No, because the money for the alumni corps' comes strictly from the gate at the alumni show.<<

Ray, when you were Director, what was the corps' payout for the show? Somewhere between $1000-$1500?

Liked cuz I always wondered..... Was not with the Lancers when they made their one appearance so no idea of the background.

Thread has gone into areas I didn't expect and lot of good information and opinions....

Always good to look ahead....

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

so if the alumni show is barely breaking even......if DCA is to move and they don't get the sweetheart stadium deal like they get n Rochester.....

Depending on where the show is moved to will determine if the Alumni show continues as has always been the case. As I said earlier, not too many alumni corps are that well-heeled. Bus charters will always be the deciding factor. As it is, one bus to move Sky for the weekend, Saturday AM until Sunday PM back to Hasbrouck Heights runs us about $2500-$3000, and that's including a room for the driver and a healthy tip to cover his meals, etc.! And a lot of members drive their own cars and absorb the costs, too. No sense in our upstate crew or PA crew driving down to NJ for a bus ride up to Rochester.

Edited by Ray Priester

IIRC Last I remember the (one) bus bill for a couple of hours for 4th of July parades was about $800.

And that's going from a few miles north of the Mason-Dixon Line (aka PA-MD border) to/from Baltimore.

Sounds like the bus bill might do major damage to Alumni show just like it did damage back in the 70s to the RCA corps.

>>so if the alumni show is barely breaking even......if DCA is to move and they don't get the sweetheart stadium deal like they get n Rochester.....<<

By design, the Alumni show itself was always meant to break even ... that's what splitting the gate evenly (after expenses) does ... Net Zero ... the corps themselves most likely appear at a loss due to the bus cost (see Ray's reply) ... I would imagine that concessions and parking fees (if any) go directly to the stadium ... the corps do have one other source of income that morning: souvies and Tees ... I believe each Alumni appearing is allowed to set up a table to sell stuff ... at $18 a pop for tix, it looks like some other operations expenses must have been introduced over the years ... but ... somehow Allentown, Syracuse, Scranton, Rochester and Annapolis have been able to host the show on the field ... like Ray said ... who knows what the future holds? ...

Edited by ajlisko
  • Like 1

As my beat up wallet will attest, Alumnis set up souvie tables Sunday morning. :shutup:

LOL Kris still has the little "Big Apple" bead work piece that someone at Skys table gave her. We were talking to the people there and Kris said something about the piece and next thing we knew it was given to her..... :smile:

• Like 1