Bones alum here. New profile, some of you will know who I am just from the screen name / avatar.

Anyways... if there is any pressure from me, it's on the design team / admin to create a quality product. Especially when I'm donating money. Every bones member works their tail off year in and year out. If there are alumni out there openly putting pressure on members to do better, I question their motives.

I'm really bummed that I won't be able to see Bones live this year... Can't wait until July 12th when I can finally get a good view of the show through DCi Live.

Edited by ComeHomeShane
  • Like 1

Anyways... if there is any pressure from me, it's on the design team / admin to create a quality product. Especially when I'm donating money. Every bones member works their tail off year in and year out. If there are alumni out there openly putting pressure on members to do better, I question their motives.

I concur. For the time and money I give (wish I could give more of both, but we all do what we can) I want to see a quality product, see them pushing themselves instead of resting on their laurels, and see that the kids are treated well. But even when staff and admin I've talked to (and have built relationships where I'm comfortable being honest with them if I was unhappy) ask me what I think I'm not putting pressure on them since what I see is that they're making progress and that the last two years they've taken steps to up their game. Last year I think they took strides in terms of sophistication of design/demand without sacrificing the execution from 2014 and it seems that they're on the same trajectory this year. The kids are treated well and the show is challenging/providing opportunities for growth. I'm happy with them and can't wait to see them again twice when they come back through SE PA.

• Like 2

Tightening up their boot straps.

Edited by xbones7480

I have to admit, my reaction to this video is similar to their show announcement..."meh". Not that anyone on the Crossmen staff would ever or should ever give two shakes about what I or any other DCP posters say. You keep doing your thing, guys, and have a great season.

I like that the brass book doesn't appear to be ENTIRELY an original Markworth composition, that's a good thing. Yes, I get that the music & drill will be tied together in an organic way now because of the original composition but....isn't that the goal anyway, for every corps? And in regards to Mike Hardiek's comments explaining the theme..."continuous drill moves that feed into each other, continuous themes that you see recurring, and ... continual visual motifs that the individual has to carry throughout the show"...isn't that the goal of the visual design of EVERY corps this year? Thematic consistency in their visual package and cohesive, flowing drill to match?

I will still be pleasantly surprised and will happily eat all of the crow if this turns out to be a home run of a show. And, I will readily admit that I'm basing my preseason notions of this show on the relatively little info that Crossmen have released about it. And I acknowledge that they appear to have a corps with unprecedented talent, returning members, and some hefty new staff additions. But, I still maintain that at first glance, this largely-original music book with a generic theme has the potential to fall flat, especially when all other corps in their competitive neighborhood seem to be stepping up their design game, as well as using rich source material with plenty of musical depth.

Have you seen both the Crossmen and SCV this year??? just wanted to see if you still feel the same way???? I have only seen a few short clips of SCV and I have seen the Crossmen in Allentown on 6/30/16, and I too was concerned when I saw that video, But they are Fantastic if you ask me :)

• Like 1

Unless something changes in the next week, this tour has solidified Crossmen are ahead of Boston. But, the scores across the country indicate many corps are in the same scoring "ballpark". The key show ahead is 10 days from now: Broken Arrow on the 20th.

Blue Stars and Blue Knights in the same competition as Crossmen, with Boston absent.

Unless something changes in the next week, this tour has solidified Crossmen are ahead of Boston. But, the scores across the country indicate many corps are in the same scoring "ballpark". The key show ahead is 10 days from now: Broken Arrow on the 20th.

Blue Stars and Blue Knights in the same competition as Crossmen, with Boston absent.

I'd say Belton the night after is huge. Troopers, Madison, Crossmen, Blue Stars, and Boston. Assuming Blue Knights finally finish their show in the next week they'll have moved up well out of the group Crossmen are in, so Broken Arrow is really just about seeing Blue Stars (which is still an important head to head), but Belton will give everyone a sense of position heading into San Antonio.

Have you seen both the Crossmen and SCV this year??? just wanted to see if you still feel the same way???? I have only seen a few short clips of SCV and I have seen the Crossmen in Allentown on 6/30/16, and I too was concerned when I saw that video, But they are Fantastic if you ask me :)

I have! Thanks for dredging that post up; it's always healthy to keep naysayers accountable, especially in this lovely activity where we all have so many passionate opinions : )

It's a great show, much better than I thought it would be, and already has some truly nice moments: the "color wheel" of flags and the ballad hit are quite lovely and well-written in particular. I will say, the MM's are truly living up to the preseason hype that this would be a corps that plays and moves spectacularly. No sane person would doubt that they are a corps whose members will be performing at a Finalist level in August.

But, unfortunately, I still believe that this show is not the vehicle to secure them as a Finals lock, despite their current placings. Their lower GE scores have got to be worrying the staff a bit, especially since they're scoring so much more solidly in music & visual. There's a lot of season left, and when everyone around them competitively cleans and cleans to similar levels, I don't think Crossmen's 2016 show design will hold the weight of the others. If they maintain their current status by the time the end of the season rolls around, it will be because of stellar execution (which is admirable as well!). To be honest, the brass book lacks a lot of depth and continuity (yes, there are some "challenging spots", but they're not organic within the music, and are oddly placed). The concept is vague and wandering, at least at this point. I don't see the same room for growth that the corps around them have. It's not that it's a bad show, because it's a fine show, I just think that if Boston, Stars, Troop, Academy, and Scouts are all on their A game when August arrives, then Crossmen will be left quite vulnerable and could be forgotten on Friday, despite how well they are currently scoring. I'm not convinced yet that their current scores reflect anything other than they've cleaned a more straightforward show quicker out of the gate than the other corps in their neighborhood.