2011 Crown question...

2008 for me was the year I knew they would win eventually. 2009 demonstrated 2008 wasn't a fluke.

Same for me. Before 2008, I had a dumb anti-Crown bias (partially driven by gimmicky-but-effective shows like "Bell-issimo" and "Bohemia"). I never gave their performances a fair chance and would make every excuse to thumb my nose at what they were doing.

But then "Finis" came and changed all that.

I would kind of like to see them re-explore one of their earlier concepts from pre-2008 (hell, maybe try their luck at doing another greek god show again. I think they would get better than 16th)

I agree. I heard Finis, and I said WOW! I knew it was just a matter of time before they would win the CHP.

Same for me. Before 2008, I had a dumb anti-Crown bias (partially driven by gimmicky-but-effective shows like "Bell-issimo" and "Bohemia"). I never gave their performances a fair chance and would make every excuse to thumb my nose at what they were doing.

But then "Finis" came and changed all that.

I would kind of like to see them re-explore one of their earlier concepts from pre-2008 (hell, maybe try their luck at doing another greek god show again. I think they would get better than 16th)

I'm sure they'll re explore some previous ideas.

• 1 month later...

An except from Michael Boo's article:

"While it seemed as if the show was over when the bass drums started up the We Will Rock You motif, there was an encore of Free Bird, mixed in with some Guns N Roses to follow. According to corps percussion head Lee Beddis, We wanted to have an encore that was as close to what one would see at a rock concert.

It's funny. I didn't know until this thread that fans yelled "Free Bird". I don't know how the heck I missed it.

One other thing I remember about this show is Herbert. Wow, what a performer!

I agree. I heard Finis, and I said WOW!

Crown's 2008 show " Finis " finished 4th that season. But for pure listening pleasure, its one of my favorite all time Drum Corps shows to listen to from start to finish. I enjoy their music from that season even better than a few of their following shows that finished higher in placement with the DCI judging community as a matter of fact.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Crown's 2008 show " Finis " finished 4th that season. But for pure listening pleasure, its one of my favorite all time Drum Corps shows to listen to from start to finish. I enjoy their music from that season even better than a few of their following shows that finished higher in placement with the DCI judging community as a matter of fact.

Funny you bring Finis up. I was listening to it recently and always loved it but was thinking how much lower it would place now because the "concept" was not deep. Almost sad how shows have to be written now to score well. Great music and drill may bring you a 4th place if you're an excellent group but no higher.