Rare Glimpse at 1990 Magic of Orlando Pre Season

Or Sky Ryders?

Well, as once said to Dorothy,... "you're not in Kansas anymore".

Same thing applies here. Sky Ryders moved there to Texas in 1990... and after being in Kansas for 35 years. They had also been a DCI Finalist Corps a few times before moving their operations to Texas too. I am referring to a start up Corps that was started by Texas people, in Texas, and nurtured that corps along by themselves into DCI Top 12 qualifying status. The state has never done so. Not even close.... so far anyway.

Edited by BRASSO

Yes, but Texas had provided the vast majority of Sky Ryder members for many years when they were still in Kansas.

True enough. But the state of Texas produces lots of MM talent to lots of Corps. And has for over 50 years. Nothing wrong with this, of course. I just find it odd that the state of Texas has never started up a Corps of their own from scratch and brought such a Corps themselves to Top 12 status, thats all. Heck, if they really wanted to and had a burning desire to do so, the state of Texas could do so, and probably not need a single MM from the state of Kansas to accomplish it ( or from any other state either, imo )

Edited by BRASSO

Hey Brasso....I don't mean to get into any arguments here. :smile:

No harm, no foul. I don't see this back and forth btw us as an "argument." I do recognize that my initial remarks could be seen here by some as not accounting for the Sky Ryders, or Crossmen, which was not my intent. I meant " start up " Corps with my initial words utilized above of... " by themselves " . My follow up remarks however gave me the opportunity to clarify better what I am referring to here with the additional word usage of a Texas generated " start up Corps " never have been started in Texas,.. then nurtured, then later brought into WC Div. Top 12 Finalist status.

Speaking of both Sky Ryders, Crossmen, both these fine Corps have produced some very entertaining music over the years.... another reason I really miss the archive retrievals from the lost Fan Network.

Oh well.... now back to Magic of Orlando.....

Edited by BRASSO

The fact that Texas has not created its own corps from scratch (yet) AND gone on to DCI prominence simply proves how difficult it is to build an elite corps in DCI. Texas certainly has its fair share of talent and treasure. The camp and travel structure of corps today don't require hometown talent. What's needed is a great program that generates interest in attracting and sustaining the best talent in the country. The reason that you see the same, usual, great corps - year in and year out - is no coincidence. It's hard to get there and even harder to sustain the high level of excellence.

But not that it can't be done. It's just not for the faint of heart - or business acumen - or professional board and hired staff - or money - or support - or...

or money, money, money...

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 1

I'm confused; is this thread about Magic of Orlando or Texas?

• Like 1

I'm confused; is this thread about Magic of Orlando or Texas?

Oh well.... now back to Magic of Orlando.....

Always wondered why drum corps hasn't been sustained very well in Florida too

Always wondered why drum corps hasn't been sustained very well in Florida too

Distance probably accounts for some ( but not all) of it, I would think.

There used to be quite a few Corps in the DCI ranks from Canada too.. Distance too, ( travel costs ) somewhat of a factor here as well, I'd imagine. Most of them could not sustain themselves financially either. The Corps are much bigger now.. with expensive instruments to buy and maintain, quadrupling of staffs, etc. Travel costs with these big busses, kitchen tucks, equipment/ uniform trucks, etc are unbelievably expensive, as we all here know. Once we cross the threshold of needing approx. a million bucks each and every year at a minimum to effectively compete in World Class Division for an 8 week competition season, many Corps decided to just throw in the white towel, as it just became too prohibitively expensive to sustain year after year. Thats why we pay tribute to the few remaining ones that have still found a way to sustain themselves financially to enable themselves to still make it out to the competition field each summer.

Edited by BRASSO