Designer's Toolbox - Depth of Concept

I understand what Ch 3 is saying. Think about going to a movie. When you're simply entertained and have to invest little in the movie, good, But most likely it won't have much of a lasting effect on you. However, a great movie often times is one that not only entertains, but is one that you have to make a little bit of intellicutual investment in. You come to realize there is more to the storyline than what you thought. It's cathartic.

BTW - another excellent post by Channel3!

Edited by drumcorpsfever

I understand what Ch 3 is saying. Think about going to a movie. When you're simply entertained and have to invest little in the movie, good, But most likely it won't have much of a lasting effect on you. However, a great movie often times is one that not only entertains, but is one that you have to make a little bit of intellicutual investment in. You come to realize there is more to the storyline than what you thought. It's cathartic.

A reiteration: DCI is not Hollywood Motion Pictures, it is not Broadway Musical Productions nor Off-Broadway Plays, it is not High Symphonic Music nor Opera, it is not a Rock Concert Series nor Jazz Combos,... DCI is the highest quality organization (within the realm of marching band activity).

BTW - another excellent post by Channel3!

Definitions from the Webster’s Dictionary:

Channel: A tubular passageway.

3: Something that has three Members or units.

Ya see ole C3... word symbolism at it’s finest!

Edited by Stu
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Definitions from the Webster’s Dictionary:

Channel: A tubular passageway.

3: Something that has three Members or units.

Ya see ole C3... word symbolism at it’s finest!

I notice that your toxic posts usually are the last post in a discussion. You really know how to clear a room! :shutup:

I do agree with Ch. 3 to the extent that any show that fails to make coherent sense with most in the audience should suffer some levels of GE scoring diminishment as a result of this. Do they with the GE judges to the extent that they should ? Hard to say, but I have my doubts.

Shows that might have multiple interpretations on the part of audiences are ok too, imo. But the Music SHOULD fit the Theme that is chosen well, and the overall effect should not be one that leaves an audience confused, or bewildered and such. The Music Arts are about preparing performers to communicate via music and/ or song, and/ or dance, in place of the spoken word( and why, as a general rule, I am not a big fan of Narration in shows ). The failure to effectively communicate a theme to an audience of diverse backgrounds is fundamentally not the audience's fault, imo. The fault lies primarily with the Show Designers. They bare that obligation. Not the paying customer.

On another point.... regarding the movies and theatre anology.... DCI Show Designers should keep in mind that DCI shows are not like the movies, nor the theatre where audiences go in to see ONE movie, or ONE theatre production in an hour or 2. Movies and the like have just ONE plot, theme, messaging, etc. However, when we watch a 11-12 minute DCI show from a Corps, the audience in that DCI show has just watched a few other Corps shows, themes, messaging, within the last hour or 2. We are still digesting those shows and themes, with its messaging, etc. So please, any DCI Show Designers out there reading DCP, keep your Theme and its messaging clear, concise, and understandable to audiences. No matter how well a Show might score with a handful of DCI Judges, there is no nobility to be had in confusing most audiences from coast to coast with your Show.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Because they didn't know how to properly run and jump off of a pivoting orange triangle until the very end of the show. What a perfect example of having an epiphany of universal truth and transforming and triumphing over an inner battle.

Because they didn't know how to properly run and jump off of a pivoting orange triangle until the very end of the show. What a perfect example of having an epiphany of universal truth and transforming and triumphing over an inner battle.

I'm not sure what you're responding to. Anyway, I loved that last moment of the Bluecoats show, Tilt. It was an exciting, high-risk visual requiring gymnastic prowess, safety coordination, and guts. The problem was it had no context, no precedent, no setup. It was random. Exciting for the moment, sure, but completely without context or meaning, like a pretty straw hat in January. The performer could have just as easily skateboard jumped on the triangles. Yay! Or the entire corps could have magically balanced on the several triangles simultaneously. Yay! Or... or... or... You see? No depth of concept. No context. No deeper meaning of any kind.

Now, had the Bluecoats coupled the show with off-stage discussions about young musicians fighting alienation and feeling off kilter, or musicians trying to jump through industry clutter to develop a new style all their own, or used the metaphor of Tilt to mean performers overcoming personal doubts about their skewed vision of the world, then wham. First place. You see the difference? The metaphor ties in to the performer's POV and corps management's effort to address a pertinent aspect of the performer's lives. What an ineluctable, powerful context Tilt could have had. The ridiculous symbol would have made sense. And all of this could have been done off the field in an intentional, public way for the benefit of all. The depth of concept gives you chills. You could have built a freaking church on that foundation. Completely original and full of meaning. First place, no doubt. Without this context, and without the design team adding this context or acknowledging a deeper concept, meh, second place.

Edited by Channel3