Renegades - From the Beginning

In regards to "they got caught"- the hotel laid it out thick and clear to DCA something had to be done, stat, or the Annapolis Chamber of Commerce was going to be brought in to the scene and that they wouldn't have championships there next year.

They didn't want any lame excuses, they wanted something done. Now.

Times have changed. In regards to antics of the past, I somehow doubt the damage bill was anything approaching theirs even with inflation taken into account.

Yes, it's sad that it put a dagger into the corps. But don't excuse what happened, please. It's not really excusable in this era when the activity is trying to present a positive appearance and everything is amplified in the "age of outrage". You can't have folks complaining why the activity isn't as popular on one hand and then try and fluff off stuff like this on the other. You can't have your cake and eat it, too in this regard.

• Like 4

In regards to "they got caught"- the hotel laid it out thick and clear to DCA something had to be done, stat, or the Annapolis Chamber of Commerce was going to be brought in to the scene and that they wouldn't have championships there next year.

They didn't want any lame excuses, they wanted something done. Now.

Times have changed. In regards to antics of the past, I somehow doubt the damage bill was anything approaching theirs even with inflation taken into account.

Yes, it's sad that it put a dagger into the corps. But don't excuse what happened, please. It's not really excusable in this era when the activity is trying to present a positive appearance and everything is amplified in the "age of outrage". You can't have folks complaining why the activity isn't as popular on one hand and then try and fluff off stuff like this on the other. You can't have your cake and eat it, too in this regard.

I know something happened back in the 1960's. A Corps at Nationals did a lot of damage to a hotel. The sponsor of the corps was contacted and told they would have to pay. The sponsor Did pay. Then SOLD all the equipment and dis-banned the Corps.

So this was not a new thing.

Yep. Drove me crazy. There was no need for it- the shows were exciting and aggressive. Let the performance set the tone and let others build the hype for you.

I thought is was marketing genius. took 2 years of Loud is Good, Don't Suck, Drum Corps is Evil (remember wearing that shirt to UofR show before anyone knew what it was - got some lo-o-o-o-ooks). then minicorps at Syracuse (I think), and pulling up in the police car (with lights aflashin') in Scranton... they had a huge fanbase before they ever set foot on the DCA competition field

• Like 1

From my very limited understanding, the matter was all handled privately and quietly between all parties and resolved.

Had the "lid been kept on the kettle" and not opened---by someone associated in some manner with the corps from my limited understanding; the corps could had (as example) simply mentioned they would not be attending the next DCA Championships due to costs involved---which certainly would had been perceived as very rational and sensible reasoning, case closed; they return the following season. Sadly, a scenario as such did not happen.

Great corps, sadly missed.

Edited by bill
  • Like 4

Ditto Bill... and better than I could have said it. From what I remember the can o worms was opened from the West Coast and any East Coast responses were said in defense.

Having a family that ran a (less than Hilton standards) motel for long term people I know that any problems like illegal stuff or room trashing could kill you. Rooms out of service while being fixed, cleaned up... investigated..... takes $$$$ out of the pocket. And then there is that reputation thing which could be a downhill spiral.

• Like 1

" RENEGADES "​

Loved you.

Miss you.

From New Jersey, and Hope, that You will be back.

• Like 1