Will Wildwood Be An Exhibition Only?

Funny thing is I got a flyer e-mail today from DCA saying in completion and listing the 4 corps .

To be fair, that flyer was designed and circulated a while ago.

And for the love of god, people, if you stop by a Cabs rehearsal, please say hi. I love meeting DCPers in person. I'm not exactly easy to miss either :)

DCA used to have an early show with this format in the early 90's- one was at Scranton, another in Bayonne, NJ. If used with the right intent, it'll be very beneficial for both judges and contestants.

Bayonne 95, Jackson 96

As to why corps might not be ready by mid June...

It's nobody's ###### business. Sorry, but corps work off a schedule that works for them, not what works for a given crowd at a given show. We all work within the known limitations of our own circumstances. We all do the very best we can with the members, staff, rehearsal sites, and schedule that we have to work with. The fans at that show are going to get the very best of what those corps can offer at this point in their season. Any numbers that are put out there this early in the season are pretty much meaningless anyway. The staffs will bet feedback and a critique where they can hear about what is working and what is not. That is all they can hope to get at this point.

I know this is probably not what fans want to hear but I will always side with what is best for the marching members and the corps as a whole. If those that are performing have deemed that a judged exhibition is the way to go then that is what it should be...in my humble opinion.

Dan

word. Empire in 01 went to their first show just having the battery set that weekend, but we rushed thru everything to "get it done".

then went out, fell apart and got 10 pointed.

Without revealing too much about how the sausage is made, and at the risk of making Al Katz mad at me (what else is new), I know this was discussed at least a month ago' and that the idea to make the show exhibition-only with judges came from outside the Cabs organization.

My *personal* opinion is that I'm fine with a show of this nature. The idea of performing and then having a no-pressure conversation with the panel is enticing. I wouldn't want any numbers written down, because that would defeat the entire purpose...even if they weren't for public release.

That said, this simple conversation devolving into calls for DCI to take over or for corps to change their methodology in order to fit someone's ideas of what the season should be like is laughable. Good lord, people, it's band. Relax, the corps all know what hey are doing, as Dan so eloquently stated.

Making Wildwood an exhibition isn't going to destroy the activity or ruin anyone's day.

it wasnt that long ago Wildwood was held inside in a facility not as big as a football field....corps had to adjust their drill for a day....and now people want to ##### about a score?

• Like 2

Dan, having lived in the Baltimore area since 1991... there still are a bunch of folks here who consider Baltimore and other parts of Maryland (including western Maryland... the Frederick area....where the July 2 show is being held) to be part of the Deep South. :tongue:

it's that Manson-Nixon line thingie

To be fair, that flyer was designed and circulated a while ago.

And for the love of god, people, if you stop by a Cabs rehearsal, please say hi. I love meeting DCPers in person. I'm not exactly easy to miss either :)

no you aren't LOL

Bayonne 95, Jackson 96

And Red Bank in NJ in '97.

It was wild seeing all the circuit's judges there in the stands. LOL.

it's that Manson-Nixon line thingie

1997... Barbara and I went to the 135th anniversary re-enactment of the Antietam Civil War battle in western MD. At one point, a group of Union soldiers came walking past and people in the crowd started booing. :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring

Here's an idea! The Baltimore area should start a drum corps & call them the Yankee-Reb............never mind! :tounge2:

• Like 1

Here's an idea! The Baltimore area should start a drum corps & call them the Yankee-Reb............never mind! :tounge2:

LOL... remember when YR was DCA's "Southern corps"?