What is the relationship between DCI and the individual corps?

On 4/24/2017 at 4:29 PM, ouooga said:

On a $28k cost (plus other overhead I'm guessing) can you share what the ROI is?

Wait, I just thought about it further. Who receives the ticket fees? 100% the show promoter, or is it split 50/50 with DCI? If the latter, DCI really charges for the corps and still gets a cut of revenue? Also if the latter, does the corps' money come from the DCI cut, or is it more complicated than even that?

The show host pays the contract fee and the show host keeps all of the gate the contract and other expenses.  DCI pays the corps, but don't forget that the show host is responsible for providing housing to all performing corps, too.  That can range from a few hundred dollars to several thousand if many schools are used.  Those expenses, and all general marketing expenses, are all borne by the show host.

What's left over after all of those expenses is what the host gets to keep.

A geographic area has to be able to support a show.  In Ohio we have 5 shows, two of which are run by 'Coats and three that are run by TEPs.  The area has to support that many shows to make the net profit a worthwhile effort.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

Went back and re-read the thread and the thread title. 

"What is the relationship between DCI and the individual corps?"

DCI tell's you how and when to like it and take it or leaver it. It's a shame how they treat the out of the G7 corps and eventually but not always they find a way to make it impossible for someone and something new to come along and grab a spot away from the mafia7. 

6 hours ago, E3D said:

Went back and re-read the thread and the thread title. 

"What is the relationship between DCI and the individual corps?"

DCI tell's you how and when to like it and take it or leaver it. It's a shame how they treat the out of the G7 corps and eventually but not always they find a way to make it impossible for someone and something new to come along and grab a spot away from the mafia7. 

I'm not sure what you're referring to here, but DCI - the 'they' you refer to - is actually carrying out directives issued by all of the corps via their elected voting members.  "They" are not out to get the non-G7.

"Someone"...you mean like BAC '17?

"Something"...you mean like half-pipes for 'Coats and field speakers for Cavies?

Just curious why you seem so bitter even today when I've not seen any evidence of what you speak for a half-dozen years.

I like the mafia; it's the G7 that bugged the crap out of me.  

:lle:

• Like 1

DOn't know but you will not catch me agreeing with anything someone named Garfield is pushing. :whistle:i really like that corps when they were real Jersey. But today Not at all. in fact I would chose jump suits over them. That a big reach. But hey....

Anyhow DCI is run and controlled by HE WHO HAS GOLD. So reset and rethink that canned opinion you have based on a championship or 2 3 4 5 ..... 

Not bitter either even though your screen name does bring me to tears and not want for lasagna!:fight:

4 minutes ago, E3D said:

DOn't know but you will not catch me agreeing with anything someone named Garfield is pushing. :whistle:i really like that corps when they were real Jersey. But today Not at all. in fact I would chose jump suits over them. That a big reach. But hey....

Anyhow DCI is run and controlled by HE WHO HAS GOLD. So reset and rethink that canned opinion you have based on a championship or 2 3 4 5 ..... 

I know about 34 corps that would disagree with you in 2010, and about 44 of them that would disagree with you today.

DCI is run by its member corps and, specifically, by the fiduciary responsibilities of the Boards of Directors of those member corps.

On 4/24/2017 at 11:20 AM, BRASSO said:

DCI are in fact" The Corps"

On 4/24/2017 at 11:54 AM, garfield said:

While DCI "is the corps"...

It is my understanding that DCI is not 'The Corps' as stated above; which implies that the OC and Soundsport corps have complete DCI Membership voting powers; but in fact DCI is just the WC Voting Corps; which in turn allow the OC and Soundsport organizations to perform under the DCI banner.

Edited by Stu

23 minutes ago, Stu said:

It is my understanding that DCI is not 'The Corps' as stated above; which implies that the OC and Soundsport corps have DCI Board voting power; but in fact DCI is just the WC Voting Corps; which in turn allow the OC and Soundsport organizations to perform under the DCI banner.

Yes... and just as similarly when someone says that " Congress " are the elected Represensatives, someone can correctly then add as a reminder that " Assistants, pages, and secretaries, etc are also in Congress, but have no vote, but likewise perform their duties under the banner of " Congress ". The fact that someone chimes in with the correctness of that assessment however, does not in any way negate the correctness of the original posters comments that " Congress is the elected representatives ". Both are true... lol!

Edited by BRASSO

1 minute ago, BRASSO said:

Yes... and just as similarly when someone says that " Congress " are the elected Represensatives, someone can correctly then add as a reminder that " pages, and secretaries, etc are also in Congress, but have no vote, but likewise perform their duties under the banner of " Congress ". The fact that someone chimes in with the correctness of that opinion, does not in any way negate the original posters comments that " Congress is the elected representatives ".... lol!

Hate to break this news to you but Pages, Secretaries, Interns, Aids, and others apart from those elected are 'not' part of Congress.  They are the 'Staff' of those who are in Congress.  Only those who are elected and have voting power on the Floor or in Chamber are in Congress.  In the same manner only those DCI WC Corps with voting power are DCI; all others corps are invited to participate within the services of, and under the banner of. DCI, but they are not 'DCI'.