In The News – Major League Of Marching Band

11 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Do you also troll discussion groups for softball and post "baseball, baseball, baseball"?

Why would I? They have different rules, different genders, and play on completely different fields!

Oh and the important thing is that you when making a distinction between baseball and softball, you don't sound like a snobby ######## 

7 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Why would I? They have different rules, different genders, and play on completely different fields!

Oh and the important thing is that you when making a distinction between baseball and softball, you don't sound like a snobby ######## 

Different rules... good point.

56 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Evidently, they were beyond your understanding on page 1 of this thread.  Maybe your understanding has grown from reading subsequent posts.

Words have meanings that are not always easily captured in their dictionary definitions.  Any semantician can make the argument for drum corps being a subset of some larger whole, but using the term "marching band" instead of "marching music" for that larger whole is an ill-informed choice.  It disregards decades of real world usage.  From the 1920s through the 1980s, organizations like the American Legion, VFW, CYO, Eastern Massachusetts and others staged competitions for drum corps and marching bands side by side, but in separate divisions.  They all understood that drum corps and marching band were different things.  

These exchanges always remind me of a scene from the movie Breakfast Club:

Brian:  You wear tights? (for wrestling)

Andrew:  No, I don't wear tights. I wear the required uniform.

Brian:  Tights.

Andrew:  Shut up!

Anyway, this is not a matter of Semantics but of what actually transpires. Which is group of people with instruments (ie band of people) do motions and stepping maneuvers in a unified manner (ie marching) and therefore they are by all accounts a Marching Band.  Of course DCI and BOA are not the exact same thing; and I never made the claim that they were the exact same. (just like Indy Car and Formula One are not the exact same thing). However, whereas the folks in Indy Car and Formula One both revel in the fact that they exist in general terms as Auto Racing entities, many folks in DCI are again ashamed and embarrassed that drum corps actually does exist under the general banner of being a Marching Band activity. And I have been consistent with this from page one.