Why have a TOC show?

I guess I am a little upset when folks come to a show and only come in for the top 5 corps. However the most annoying thing for me is when I would go to Atlanta and get good seats on the 45 and people assume that  all the people in that section will not be there until the top 5 corps   so they just plop into your seats.    Last year my girlfriend sitting next to me went out to use the restroom and a member of a corps that had performed just asked me to let him pass me and plopped right into her seat I had to pretty aggressively  get him out of that seat. Then I had to spend the rest of the show looking down both ways to make sure someone was not coming to try to take one of my seats.  I think there is some leeway and there is no use having those seats go empty while the lesser corps perform, but this was during the top 8 or so. 

The fundamental underlying premise of the TOC concept ( by one of the chief architects of it ) was that " these are the Top Acts in DCI "

Well, that premise goes entirely out the window if you are no longer a top tier level Corps, while essentially receiving just appreciative golf claps by most audiences for just showing up and performing at shows... TOC shows or otherwise.

Things DO change. And as such, " the Top Acts in DCI " today are no longer" The Top Acts in DCI"  as when that concept was hatched in 2010. I submit that, for example, the Academy's shows have been far more favorably received by coast to coast audiences the last 2 seasons than some of the TOC Corps shows have been these last couple of seasons.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1