Why have a TOC show?

15 minutes ago, ShortAndFast said:

The initial point was that the TOC shows were operated by "the seven", so they got to keep all of the net income from them. I know this is still the case with some: Dekalb = Phantom, Winston Salem = Crown, Chester = Cadets, Massillon = Bloo. Are they all produced by the former G7?

Not sure. Curiously, Massillon was not identified as being part of the TOC lineup in the first year or two of the TOC.

2 hours ago, Eleran said:

it depends on whether there are alternatives.   My local high school's marching band is positioned geographically where it can attend either Clifton, NJ or Chester, PA, but it will choose Chester (which is nearly twice as long a drive) because of the TOC lineup (not to mention that it's a nicer stadium and easier to park the bus).

Erie and Massillon are not very far apart geographically and have shows Monday before finals.  A lot of DCI fans that live between Erie and Cleveland or Cleveland and Pittsburgh go to TOC Massillon. 

I don't know what Erie attendance is like but  fo me bluecoats are our local corps- so we usually go to see them...and it's really exciting to see what other elite corps are up to without taking time off of work.  

44 minutes ago, ThePlanets said:

Erie and Massillon are not very far apart geographically and have shows Monday before finals.  A lot of DCI fans that live between Erie and Cleveland or Cleveland and Pittsburgh go to TOC Massillon. 

I don't know what Erie attendance is like but  fo me bluecoats are our local corps- so we usually go to see them...and it's really exciting to see what other elite corps are up to without taking time off of work.  

As a Buffalo native, I really want to go to the Erie show sometime to see all the lower-tier corps. The sub-12th place shows, even sub-15th place, have improved immensely in quality over the past few years. Worth seeing that over a second straight TOC show, IMO.

TOC G7 - same same 

It is a garbage idea in my opinion and does nothing. 

G7 GO away. 

• Like 1

So they killed the individual /small performance ensembles around the show, no more mass brass, didn’t get my tickets through Crown tickets

All the little extra promised to sell these shows and how the G7 could do it better, Gone

It’s a cash grab – wonder how they paid out the non-TOC corps in DeKalb?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Originally the TOC was just the previous year's top seven or top eight. They've opened it up since then. I see seven shows with the name "Tour of Champions" on this year's DCI schedule.

I recall it followed the G7 rules, the 8th corps got in if they were 8th or above 3 years straight. Think BAC did this and then some strife. For a while, one of the G7 corps would rotate out at each ToC show and they’d have a guest corps. There was something about DCI producing the ToC shows but I believe the G7 set the terms and it has a different pay-out structure. For a while, the ToC had different judging sheets and instant encores. Those judging sheets were tested at ToC and then adapted to DCI, sometimes; they did affect the ToC outcomes differently than DCI shows

oh the g7 is alive and well, just is more under the radar.  what is the payout of these 7 corps at the TOC shows? is it still substantially more than the other participating corps? and the 3 years of 8th or more rule never really was enforced by the g7 because they would have had to let in Blue Stars 08, 9, 10 in ,and if my mind serves me right Boston... thus all the flap several years ago when it didn't happen.  it was never really about letting others in, but keeping others out.  Would be interesting if one of the g7 corps fell from the top 7/8, would they still get the higher payout when attending the TOC shows even though a corps like....lets say Boston places higher on a consistent basis?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

TOC shows are scar tissue from the ham handed G7 attempt.  G7 went away but nobody got around to killing off the TOC contests

to their credit, TOC shows have opened up to corps outside the top 8 in several locations. And slap a fancy title on it, you can charge a little more.

6 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

OK, but at a most local shows? When I ask people sitting near me why they're attending or which group they're here to see, as often as not they reply that they're there to see all the groups, that they saw the show mentioned in the local paper, etc.

This has been my experience as well. 

• Like 1

It's a snub to everyone busting their butts out there. Many members from TOC got experience from lower placing corps...and this to me is saying they aren't important when in fact they directly benefit from them being as competitive as they are. Not to mention staff and designers and such that cut their teeth in corps with less competitive pressure. Snobs. They saw an opportunity and manipulated dci to benefit themselves. 

Edited by JKT90
  • Like 1