DCI North Texas, Denton, TX - July 20th

6 minutes ago, Liahona said:

It's called playing to your strengths....smart...

Did I say it wasn't smart? Don't read into my comment what I don't say. 

I just don't find listening to percussion the whole show very entertaining

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pudding said:

double post

Edited by pudding

4 minutes ago, pudding said:

Don't get me wrong, I love Paul's writing, but I think he's at his most brilliant when he's writing supporting material (e.g. 2003, 2006, 2008 Phantom, 2013, 2015 SCV). Giving him so many percussion breaks is just showboating when you've got a perfectly talented brass section (not to mention J.D. Shaw).

Agreed. JD Shaw is one of the best in the business, and I think it's a shame the hornline is playing second fiddle to the percussion this year. I think they struck an excellent balance from 2012-2016 

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

Did I say it wasn't smart? Don't read into my comment what I don't say. 

I just don't find listening to percussion the whole show very entertaining

You are WAY too sensitive...always looking to take my comments out of context...dial it back a bit...

• Like 1

Just now, Cappybara said:

Agreed. JD Shaw is one of the best in the business, and I think it's a shame the hornline is playing second fiddle to the percussion this year. I think they struck an excellent balance from 2012-2016 

Frankly, I feel that the brass has always played second fiddle to percussion ever since Rennick moved to SCV (with the exception of 2013). I liked their balance FAR more in Phantom; 2003, 2006, and 2008 Phantom are masterclasses in balanced show design.

Just now, Liahona said:

You are WAY too sensitive...always looking to take my comments out of context...dial it back a bit...

???

is it Opposite Day? 

???

is it Opposite Day? 

Don't feed the troll.

???

is it Opposite Day? 

Now you're being obtuse...I give up,,,good luck with that

Just now, pudding said:

Frankly, I feel that the brass has always played second fiddle to percussion ever since Rennick moved to SCV (with the exception of 2013). I liked their balance FAR more in Phantom; 2003, 2006, and 2008 Phantom are masterclasses in balanced show design.

Idk, I think the balance was certainly better with Phantom, but Les Miserables, Scherezade, The inventions show (forgot the name), and Force of Nature were all highly musical shows that I think really let the brass shine. I'm not getting that vibe from this year's show

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Liahona said:

Now you're being obtuse...I give up,,,good luck with that

Whatever you say! I'm just not sure how I'm taking things out of context when I'm pretty much directly quoting what you're saying ¯\_(ツ)_/¯