Drum Corps Map and Daily Rundown

July 1, 2018

The Academy, Blue Devils, Blue Knights, Mandarins, Pacific Crest, Santa Clara Vanguard, Troopers - Competition in Riverside, CA

Blue Stars, The Cavaliers, Colts, Crossmen, Genesis, Madison Scouts, Phantom Regiment - Competition in La Crosse, WI

Bluecoats, Boston Crusaders, The Cadets, Carolina Crown, Spirit of Atlanta - Competition in Lawrence, MA

Jersey Surf - Dover, DE

Music City - Unknown

Oregon Crusaders - Turner, OR

Pioneer - Parade in East Troy, WI

Seattle Cascades - La Conner, WA

Xs7iB8e.jpg

Edited by DrumCorpsRadio
Corrected location of show 3

June 30, 2018 vs. July 1, 2017

I saw the show in Allentown live last night. Placements and spreads seemed about right to me. Encorps, a new SoundSport group of New Jersey with an all-star roster of staff and admin had its debut performance to a great crowd reaction. The corps had ballpark 30 horns, full battery and front ensemble and a good sized colorguard. They put on a great first show that was challenging but completely accessible. If they were in competition, I would have had them ahead of Raiders. Music City may have been my favorite pure enjoyment show of the night. They were clearly not at the level of the corps that followed them from a competitive standpoint, but they definitely gained some East Coast fans at this show. The Cadets were very warmly welcomed to the field and put on a great performance. They are much dirtier than the finely executing Bluecoats which suggests to me that with cleaning, they are likely to be in the same ballpark as last year, which was certainly not guaranteed a few months ago. I hated the costumes on FloMarching but they work really well in person; the contrast from front to back is extremely effective. 

oNZOCtu.png

Blue Devils returned from multiple rehearsal days and predictably saw a huge jump in score (+4.30). Several other corps increased by two or more points: Music City (+3.30), The Academy (+3.20), Watchmen (+2.35), Santa Clara Vanguard (+2.20), and Golden Empire (+2.15). Pioneer decreased the most (-0.65). On the ranking side, The Academy moved up four spots to #13 while Vessel fell three spots to #30.

Last Night's Storylines:

• Although Blue Devils saw a huge increase in score, Santa Clara Vanguard edged them out by 0.750. There is now a 2-2 tie in the season series.
  • Blue Devils return to competition for the first time in six days. Last year, they saw a whopping 4.10 point increase and jumped from #4 to #1 after this rehearsal swing. The biggest question will be how Blue Devils and Santa Clara Vanguard stack up after the extended days in rehearsal for both corps.
  • Raiders debuted at #28.

Tonight's Storylines:

• Blue Devils and Santa Clara Vanguard match up tonight for the fifth time and then will not see each other again until July 17.
  • Bluecoats and Carolina Crown match up head-to-head for the first time in six days. Bluecoats have won all three previous meetings by an average margin of 0.717, however they are now positioned nearly 3 points ahead in non-head-to-head scoring.
  • 7th Regiment, River City Rhythm, and Spartans make their debuts.

I saw the show in Pasadena live tonight. This is my third show (Massillon, Michigan City) in a week and I have now seen nearly all World Class corps live so any commentary here is based on my personal opinions and experiences seeing the corps in close proximity from approximately the same vantage point (50 yard line, at least midway up). 

Things are very interesting at the top. The last time Bluecoats and Carolina Crown were head to head, less than a point separated them. Same with Blue Devils and Santa Clara Vanguard. Theoretically, this puts those four corps in the top 4. However, The Cavaliers and The Cadets have been in a bit of a race as well and with all six corps taking a lot of rehearsal days in the last week, it will be very interesting to see how things shake out when they are all in action on the same night. Conveniently, that happens tomorrow night (7/2). Then we can start hypothesizing about what happens when they are all head-to-head. Right now, Blue Devils and Bluecoats feel like the most complete shows to me with Blue Devils taking the lead from an overall enjoyment perspective. As I've mentioned before I really love 2/3rds of Crown's show and suspect if they used their rehearsal days well (which of course they did), this could become my favorite show. Santa Clara Vanguard is at a much higher level than I was expecting for the time of the year and there are a lot of cool moments in the show. The Cadets clearly had a lot of work to do, but their show has a ton of room to grow. The Cavaliers also have a lot of nice moments although I did not enjoy the show in person as much as I did on the broadcast. I know this does not really say much in the end, but I think all six have a legitimate shot at the title. 

Further down the list, I think Phantom Regiment is vulnerable. The show did not do much for me; I didn't feel the normal Regiment power or story telling coming through and the show concept intrigued me. I'm not particularly fond of Madison Scouts this year either, but I think The Academy and Mandarins are in the position where they could give their veteran finalist brethren a run for their money. I was surprised to see The Academy that far back from Mandarins; they seemed neck and neck to me.

Just my two cents for what it's worth.

From a scoring standpoint from tonight. Three corps put up score increases of two or more points: Golden Empire (2.65), Watchmen (2.60), and Blue Devils (2.50). Blue Devils was expected having not competed since June 25 but the other two were just one day between shows. Madison Scouts were the only corps to see a decrease in score (-0.80). On the placement side, Blue Devils moved up three spots to #2 while Carolina Crown moved down three spots to #5 while not in competition. 

rva7kPY.png

July 2, 2018

The Academy, Blue Devils, Mandarins, Troopers - Competition in Mesa, AZ

Blue Stars, Colts, Genesis - Competition in Mankato, MN

Bluecoats, Boston Crusaders, The Cadets, Carolina Crown, Spirit of Atlanta - Competition in Lynn, MA

Blue Knights - Unknown

The Cavaliers - Jackson, WI

Crossmen - Grafton, WI

Jersey Surf - Performance in West Deptford, NJ

Madison Scouts - Spring Grove, MN

Music City - Unknown PA/NJ

Oregon Crusaders - Seaside, OR

Pacific Crest - Moreno Valley, CA

Phantom Regiment - Cedarburg, WI

Pioneer - Parade in West Allis, WI

Santa Clara Vanguard - Unknown

hByczUL.jpg

July 3, 2018

The Cavaliers, Crossmen, Madison Scouts, Phantom Regiment, Pioneer - Competition in Cedarburg, WI

Bluecoats, Boston Crusaders, The Cadets, Spirit of Atlanta - Competition in Cranston, RI

The Academy - Bakersfield, CA

Blue Devils - Tucumcari, NM

Blue Knights - Unknown

Blue Stars - Deerfield, WI

Carolina Crown - Free Day in Boston, MA

Colts - Unknown

Genesis - Unknown

Jersey Surf - Unknown

Music City - Unknown PA/NJ

Pacific Crest - Moreno Valley, CA

Troopers - Unknown

qNv3ums.jpg

July 4, 2018

The Academy - San Jose, CA

Blue Devils - Hesston, KS

Blue Knights - Unknown

Blue Stars - Niles, IL

Bluecoats - Parades in Plymouth, Duxbury & Wakefield, MA

Boston Crusaders - Parade in Bristol, RI

The Cadets - Parade in Bristol, RI

Carolina Crown - Parade in Bristol, RI

The Cavaliers - Parades in Chicago area, IL

Colts - Parades in Chicago area, IL

Crossmen - Skokie, IL

Genesis - Unknown

Jersey Surf - Unknown

Madison Scouts - Cedarburg, WI

Mandarins - Parade in Rancho Cordova, CA

Music City - Parade in Clifton, NJ

Pacific Crest - Parades in Moreno Valley & Chico, CA

Phantom Regiment - Parades in Chicago area, IL

Pioneer - Parade in Milwaukee, WI

Seattle Cascades - Unknown

Spirit of Atlanta - Middletown, RI

Troopers - Unknown

slghLqH.png

July 1, 2018 vs. July 2, 2017

Every corps in the current top 18 was in action on the same night for the first time this season. Boston Crusaders emerged from a couple days of rehearsal with the greatest score increase (+3.05) and moved up into the Top 5. Impulse dropped the most (-0.95) and fell five spots to #31. Three corps made their season debuts: Spartans (#21), 7th Regiment (#25), and River City Rhythm (#33).

Last Night's Storylines:

• Santa Clara Vanguard maintained its 0.750 edge over Blue Devils and leaves the early season match-ups with a 3-2 record. The two do not meet again until July 15.
  • Bluecoats had its largest margin of victory over Carolina Crown with a spread of 1.100.

Tonight's Storylines:

• Carolina Crown's lead over Boston Crusaders has decreased from 2.700 on June 21 to 1.100 on July 1. Will Boston Crusaders continue closing the gap?

Every corps in the current top 18 was in action on the same night for the first time this season. Five corps returned from several days off from competition with score increases of 2.00 or more: Spirit of Atlanta (3.60), The Cadets (3.50), Colts (3.40), Carolina Crown (3.10), & Crossmen (2.40). Madison Scouts also put up a 3.00+ increase (3.30), notable for there not having been any intervening rehearsal day(s). Four corps made their season debuts: Jersey Surf (#22), 7th Regiment (#25), Legends (#27), & Raiders (#30). The Top 6 reshuffle occurred with only Bluecoats staying the same position (#1). Carolina Crown saw the most movement in this group (+3). 

Comparison

Scores are more spread out this year than last year. 1st through 3rd place are separated by 1.00 right now (compared to 0.80) last year. 3.250 separate 1st through 6th compared (compared to 2.10 last year). The #12 corps is 3.850 behind the #7 corps (compared to 1.90 last year). 

FMXYWtd.png

• Like 1

July 5, 2018

The Academy, Blue Knights, Santa Clara Vanguard, Troopers - Competition in Ashland, OR

Blue Stars, Colts, Genesis, Madison Scouts, Phantom Regiment, Pioneer - Competition in Wausau, WI

Bluecoats, Boston Crusaders, The Cadets, Carolina Crown, Music City, Spirit of Atlanta - Competition in Clifton, NJ

Blue Devils - Eden Prairie, MN

The Cavaliers - Hampshire, IL

Crossmen - Chicago, IL

Jersey Surf - Unknown

Mandarins - Unknown

Oregon Crusaders - Kelso, WA

Pacific Crest - Chico, CA

B4qyAdQ.jpg

July 6, 2018

The Academy, Blue Knights, Oregon Crusaders, Pacific Crest, Santa Clara Vanguard, Seattle Cascades, Troopers - Competition in Vancouver, WA

The Cavaliers, Colts, Crossmen, Madison Scouts, Phantom Regiment, Pioneer - Competition in Rockford, IL

Mandarins - Show in Sacramento, CA

Blue Devils - Minneapolis, MN

Blue Stars - Maple Grove, MN

Bluecoats - Leesburg, VA

Boston Crusaders - Ijamsville, MD

The Cadets - Ashburn, VA

Carolina Crown - Purcellville, VA

Genesis - Unknown

Jersey Surf - Unknown

Music City - Williamsburg, VA

Spirit of Atlanta - Chesapeake, VA

0OXiYx1.jpg

July 7, 2018

The Academy, Blue Knights, Oregon Crusaders, Pacific Crest, Santa Clara Vanguard, Seattle Cascades, Troopers - Competition in Renton, WA

Blue Devils, Blue Stars, The Cavaliers, Colts, Crossmen, Genesis, Madison Scouts, Phantom Regiment - Competition in Rockford, IL

Bluecoats, Boston Crusaders, The Cadets, Carolina Crown, Jersey Surf, Music City, Spirit of Atlanta - Competition in Lexington, SC

Mandarins - Toolele, UT

4iWvNuN.jpg

On 7/1/2018 at 2:15 PM, DrumCorpsRadio said:

July 4, 2018

The Academy - San Jose, CA

Blue Devils - Hesston, KS

Blue Knights - Unknown

Blue Stars - Niles, IL

Bluecoats - Parades in Plymouth, Duxbury & Wakefield, MA

Boston Crusaders - Parade in Bristol, RI

The Cadets - Parade in Bristol, RI

Carolina Crown - Parade in Bristol, RI

The Cavaliers - Parades in Chicago area, IL

Colts - Parades in Chicago area, IL

Crossmen - Skokie, IL

Genesis - Unknown

Jersey Surf - Unknown

Madison Scouts - Cedarburg, WI

Mandarins - Parade in Rancho Cordova, CA

Music City - Parade in Clifton, NJ

Pacific Crest - Parades in Moreno Valley & Chico, CA

Phantom Regiment - Parades in Chicago area, IL

Spirit of Atlanta - Middletown, RI

Troopers - Unknown

slghLqH.png

I drilled down on PC's calendar and there is only 1 parade. They travel to Chico, CA for rehearsal on their way to WA.  It looks like there are 2 parades on the monthly view -- confusing.