Vancouver, WA - July 6, 2018

Now that I've slept on it and better late than never, I will provide brief commentary about each show, mostly just focusing on one element that really stood out to me.  I will begin with a few general observations:

First of all, my overall impression as I said in an earlier post is that from what I've observed, shows at all levels are extremely entertaining and crowd-pleasing this year - one after the other.  

I found myself noticing choreography more than I ever have.  Even just eight years ago when I entered the activity as a fan, choreo was more of an enhancement, a stylized touch here and there.  Now - it carries entire acts and drives the story - like it or not!  As for me, I am OK with this but also hope for continued balance between the dance and the drill.

Battalion - Seeing Red  

Big sound, look and book out of this group.  They perform with a lot of passion.  The stand out for me was the Beethoven because it (7th symphony, 2nd Movement) is one of my favorite movements of not just Beethoven's symphonies but all symphonies.  The brass has a mature, blended sound.  

Columbians - Danzon

Who doesn't love them some Cuban flair?  From the announcement of the show in Spanish on - you are there.  This show is lively, fun, visually interesting and musically rich.  There was a lot of toe-tapping and head-bobbing going on around me.  The Columbians always do a great job of selling a show.  They didn't appear as big as the Battalion but they matched them in energy.

Pacific Crest - Here's To The Ones Who Dream

Honestly, this was one of my favorites of the night.  This is a feel good show - accessible from start to finish.  The glitz on the sashes, the old Hollywood light props - great look from both guard and MMs.  As the show progresses, the integration of elements is rather seamless and logical.  The whole thing has an easy way about it, a nice flow.  What stood out the most for me, honestly, were some of the choreographed sections that had just the right details and style.  Good stuff. I look forward to seeing the growth.  NICE JOB PC!

Troopers - The New Road West

For those of you who love the Troopers' Americana bent but would like a bit of modern peppered in - this is your year!  This production really does have the feel of going on a journey.  The corps first appears on the far right of the field (symbolizing the East I presume -  then begins to move to the left) in a traditional Trooper uniform but soon sheds it as a more militaristic feel gives way to a free-flowing vibe.  As is often the case, the ballad got me - Both Sides Now.  After that, both music and visual become quite pastoral and increasingly 'western'.  Did I hear a Copeland quote in the closer?   My favorite from the Troopers in awhile.

Seattle Cascades - What Goes Around

OK one of the really cool things about this show are the large spinning disks on the field that at times are topped with soloists.  I'm not going to lie, I simultaneously wanted more spinning while also thinking of that Will Farrell SNL Christmas skit when he spins himself into getting really sick...  OK... sorry but I bet I'm not the only one!   Back to seriousness, the basic concept of the show is well explored.  The snippet of "Around the World" gets a lot of bang for its buck.  The Cascades always have a well-blended high brass section, and this year is no different.  I look forward to more visual development in the show.

The Academy - Academic

A bit of a departure for this corps, based on recent years anyway.  This is a more serious Academy exploring the conceptual bond between the intellect and music (or art in general - that was my take anyway).  The unis and general look of the show are old-school professor/prep school a la Dead Poets Society - with rolling antique blackboards lending themselves to creative use throughout.  Complimenting the blackboards are tables... also with an antique look, which serve to elevate MMs during the big "Oh Captain My Captain" reveal at the end.  LOVED IT!  I need to see this show several more times to absorb all that is there.  One read is clearly not enough.  And by the way, they sound better every year. 

Oregon Crusaders - Redrum

This is a very ambitious show, and in spite of the gruesome theme, is really a lot of fun.  The most iconic elements of 'The Shining' are extracted so it is accessible even if you never saw the movie .  The unis feature red and black contrast flanked by a white, toothy Jack Nickelson - worthy of a closer look if you can manage it.  The guard is dressed as the creepy twins.  I can't just pick one overall stand-out so I'll briefly touch on a few.  In the 2nd movement, the drill spells out 237 after a beautiful ballad impact that I hope gets some love this summer.  The Danse Macabre 3rd act is a delightful and playful 'at the ball' type of thing with some fun inteaction between guard and MMs.  The closer is a, well, um, blood bath, yeah that's it, a "Heeears Johnny" blood bath.  Really hope they can max out this show because the design is there.

Blue Knights - The Fall and Rise

This is the show I am having the hardest time remembering...for no reason other than my poor memory and I didn't write anything down at the time.  I apologize and it's nothing against the show.  It  has an ancient Egyptian look with 3-D diamond props and brightly-hued, yellow Cleopatra-chiffon guard outfits.  The MMs wore purple.  Maybe something was distracting me during this performance as I am just blanking on the visual details.  What I DO remember is how amazing the brass sounded and how fun it was to hear the Beatles' Sun King.  My son was sitting next to me and we both looked at each other and commented on it simultaneously.  I will do a better job of watching this show at DATR.

Santa Clara Vanguard - Babylon

Let me just start by saying - HOLY COW SCV!  They are out of the gate guns blazing this year.  I don't even know where to start.  The nesting cages could possibly take the coolest prop award - I'll start with that.  This show has a TON of content and immediately draws you in to its richness of both story AND performance.  If you get too lost in the concept or theatrics, you'll miss any number of great tricks so stay alert!  This is another show that it's hard to tell where the drill ends and the beautiful choreography begins.  Gorgeous mix of the two.  And cages, how do we use thee?   - Let us count the ways.  OK I am only scratching the surface here... I haven't even started on the brass book... with outstanding soloists ....(To my ear it was a mic'd full ensemble, am I right?) I guess the standout of this show is just how much there is to it yet it is all presented with cohesion.  I will spend the whole season taking it all in.  'Babylon' certainly deserves to go all the way.

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

@luv4corps  The PC Parents group love your take on PC. Thanks!

• Thanks 1