Finals - August 7, 2018

18 hours ago, kalad's_phantoms_regiment said:

Any idea what the reason for the directors' meeting is?

Since they held it right next to some of the souvenir booths, anyone could theoretically listen in. For politeness sake, I tried not to (as I bought a Guardians' tee shirt with the show title that DCP won't let us say), but it did appear they were discussing whether or not to have a full retreat.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

You know the ballad is working better for me tonight.  Guardians are taking some real risks with this show in building it around the vocal lyrics.  I appreciate they've made them live singers though.  However it seems like the 'horns to vocals' ratio is a bit too much to the vocals for me though

I felt that way at Avon Lake, but less so last night.

19 hours ago, Gizmit26 said:

Is he actually playing the guitar? I thought acoustic string instruments were not allowed?

I'm wondering about that rule too. An acoustic guitar with a pickup is still acoustic.

15 hours ago, brassboy said:

I find it odd that for Open Class Championships, DCI opted for the two Music Analysis judges but only 2 GE judges. Why not the full 11-person panel that World Class gets?

$.

15 hours ago, C/A Mel said:

Announcer was Brad Dowell

Brad Bell.

19 hours ago, kkrepps said:

My broadcast bleeped the show title, what is it?

Wait: did FloMarching really bleep out the Guardians's show title?

37 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Wait: did FloMarching really bleep out the Guardians's show title?

No, I was kidding. :laugh: 

I was going to own up to it, but then it was funny watching people try to type in a response and I forgot. 

• Haha 4

I'll wait until tomorrow's Prelims stream to comment at more length, but apart from the full retreat being canceled, this was a great evening, and the rain delay made it even more exciting. I would have had Legends in front of Gold, and Spartans farther ahead of 7th Regiment, but otherwise the results make sense to me.

• Like 1

Is there an error in "the Recap Roundup" article on DCI's site?

https://www.dci.org/news/recap-roundup-dci-open-class-world-championship-finals

"Gold (3rd-76.750) placed 3rd in both General Effect captions, both Visual Proficiency and Visual Analysis and the average of both Music Analysis sheets, while finishing 4th in Brass and 5th in both Color Guard and Percussion.

Legends (4th-76.350) finished 3rd in Brass and Percussion, 4th in General Effect, Color Guard, and the average of the two Music Analysis judges, and 5th in Visual Proficiency and Visual Analysis. It was primarily the 0.550 deficiency to Gold in General Effect that kept the corps from repeating as a medalist, as the corps was only down two tenths in total Visual and beat Gold by 0.350 in total Music."

According to the recap, Gold's music analysis scores were 15.6 from K. Weirich and 15.6 from P. Furnari, while Legends' music analysis scores were 15.9 from Weirich and 15.3 from Furnari. That's an average of 15.6 for both corps: a tie in music analysis.

Or am I missing something?

Interesting that in both Open Class and World Class finals, the top two in guard were 1. Northern California and 2. New England.