DCA 2018 -- Mini Corps Competition (Fri. Aug. 31)

I set out from Cleveland too late to reach Williamsport for this event, but I did just get to my hotel, about 35 minutes to the west, and their wifi seems to be functioning, so I'll catch the mini corps on the stream, and anyone who's doing the same or is there live can chime in here.

Logged on just as the anthems were concluding. Recorded were they?

Our announcer, the same fellow who did Finals last year to judge from his voice, noted that White Sabers' honor guard presented the colors.

Our announcer said that the first item would be a I&E performance on synthesizer by one Alexander Moore of the Southern Knights. The schedule on DCA's website put that at 8:40 p.m., so it seems they're running a few minutes behind. And he wasn't streamed. I see Govies' mini corps setting up now ... and growling.

Govenaires

In an amusing twist on the Govenaires' usual opening announcement, in which they describe themselves as the world's oldest corps, today, in the format of an NPR news break, they were presented as the world's newest mini corps.

They have 13 performers: 4 trumpets, 3 horns, 3 baris, 2 tubas, and 1 drum set.

This was a standstill performance at music stands.

They wore green tops (a mix of tee shirts and polos) with either khakis, jeans, or shorts; the drummer has a black tee shirt under an open green button-down.

There were a few intonation challenges and breath support was sometimes lacking, particularly in the upper brass, but there some decent harmonies nonetheless and a a nice groove. The opening number stopped too suddenly for the audience to react. The show's highlight was the trumpet solo on "Stormy Weather".

Box 5 has quite a few camera positions in this space.

Sine Wave

They hail from Illinois.

"Salvation Is Created" was the warm up.

The conductor in a tux. Stage is set up as if for a cabaret performance with dressed high top tables and a lower table and some chairs.

They start facing rear. They have some drill.

Bright trumpet solo. Big full sound. Whoa. Who are they?

Now the "007" theme. Corps in black but with cream colored vests.

Bari solo on "Live and Let Die".

They have 17 brass and 3 percussion. Sorry I don't have more details. Either I was typing or the camera was cutting.

A few little blips during the faster parts of L&LD.

Closeups reveal placards with Bond titles. The conductor's podium reads "007".

A would-be atmospheric transition really isn't so much, despite the conductor's attempt to sell it and two "Bond girl" characters at the tables.

A medley of "For Your Eyes Only" and "All Time High" (from Moonraker) shows a little strain on the highest brass.

A drum passage leads to the 007 theme returning, with a slow statement and a company front of sorts. A pyramid and ritard to the final chord.

Warriors

We seem to have gotten back on schedule.

The stream sound wasn't on for the introductory announcement, so I'm not sure where this group is from.

The corps has 14 brass (including the conductor) and 2 percussion.

They play in an arc with cream pants, tops, and caps.

A nice build to the opener. I don't recognize it. Slow chords and then something more forceful and fanfare like. Some bobbles in the mid-brass. Perhaps running out of gas towards the end of this number.

The next number also opens with a fanfare. I almost recognize it. A bouncy but driving rhythm, and a descending line in the low brass then a series of loud chords.

And ... they're done? They march off to a candence of sorts.

That was too short. Felt like half a show. We're now either going to have a long pause or move well ahead of schedule.

• Like 1

Thanks for the play-by-play... much appreciated!!!

Ok not just me on Warriors being done already. Thought they were doing a drill move to a drum solo and huh?

We both loved Sinn Waves “Frankie Valley and 4 Seasons” show from years back. Glad to see them again also. 

And at home with the feed also

Bridgemen Brass

Our host notes that the corps is moving to a big band style this year.

Looks like they have 20 brass, 1 on drums, and a conductor. They're in black pants and black and yellow tops. They're in two arcs, one standing, one sitting, and all at stands. There's a little delay at the top for an apparent equipment issue, but everyone seems to be taking it in stride. I see a concert tuba and a trombone or two.

"Sir Duke" to start. Low brass is crisp. Trumpets are not as sharp on their most famous part, but the interjected laugh is nice. Overall a little too square and tame, I think. Trombone solo stumbles a touch, but the return to the best-known line by the full ensemble is sharp. Just needed a bigger hit to close.

Latin feel for the next piece... "Sway with Me"? Something like that. Ah... Google says it's just "Sway". And it does, very nicely, although the balance was off for the full corps vs. the first trumpet solo. Maybe a little more development and less sudden ending would have helped, but that was fun.

"Sing Sing Sing" starting with the drums and the usual introduction. A bit muddy and I'm not sure that the arrangement of the low brass transition before the drum break works, but it would be very difficult to make this number not entertaining. The classic build up section and then the special features all feel as they should.  Cowbell was dead on. Nice screaming solo. The descending lines aren't quite there but the capper really nails it and the trumpet oh that's very nice! and they're done.