Event Management Model

21 minutes ago, garfield said:

Instead of presuming your motivations (pot, meet kettle), I'll simply ask that you share your list of comparison items that leads you to believe this "proposal" (is it one?  Hmm... didn't know that.  I thought it was a discussion on a forum board) is, in fact, reminiscent of the G7 proposal.  Let me help...

"The Draw"

Segmenting performances to certain classes only

Revenue capture into the "top" corps only, all others are "...allowed to form their own league...".

Restricting show performances to only a segment of a single class.

Firing the ED

Shuttering DCI except for functions only it can perform

"Expanding" the show to include special features and performances for fan inclusion and "enjoyment"

New revenue for a select group of corps only

I'm sure you can list others, but these seem to be a good start.  How do these items compare under the G7 (actual proposal) vs. a change in event management discussion?

easy...forgoing smaller shows for the super shows. thats the spot i see matching to what was proposed 9 years ago.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

without seriously jacking up prices, i don't see a net positive. you have venue costs, insurance, any housing things...who runs concessions?....staff that goes from housing site to housing site, those running all logistics at the show site, plus ticket takers, ushers etc......

I have gotten very involved with helping band programs run their shows the last 8 years, and while they don't have the cost a DCI show has, they also don't charge the same for tickets. And every one of our shows, minus weather issues, has seen increased revenue by simple things like seeking donations for food, ad sales for programs, seeking sponsors for trophies and more, and we have a streamlined packet for all hosts to follow. They got out of the live and die by ticket sales and program sales mentality, and many are easily clearing 10-15 grand 

Band shows sell the same seats over and over all show day. The can charge less. 

Stadiums have staffs. 

You’re not wrong but this ain’t band. 

36 minutes ago, garfield said:

Band shows sell the same seats over and over all show day. The can charge less. 

Stadiums have staffs. 

You’re not wrong but this ain’t band. 

actually no, most shows dont sell the same seats over and over all day long unless it's a big super regional or something. Most local band shows sell what they can fill. The only true comparable would be BOA, and even then they use volunteers, at least at some of the regionals.

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

easy...forgoing smaller shows for the super shows. thats the spot i see matching to what was proposed 9 years ago.

That's a stretch when "those" shows were restricted to 7 or 8 corps and this scenario doesn't imagine that.

All corps participate, just at fewer shows with a bigger gate and payout.

That's the idea anyway.  Again, the analysis of the numbers needs done, and recognition that corps-run TEPs are not the same as Indy-TEPs.  We're talking about, roughly, 40 shows that are NOT run by corps that syphon revenue out of DCI's coffers (according to some).

3 hours ago, garfield said:

That's a stretch when "those" shows were restricted to 7 or 8 corps and this scenario doesn't imagine that.

That's the idea anyway.  Again, the analysis of the numbers needs done, and recognition that corps-run TEPs are not the same as Indy-TEPs.  We're talking about, roughly, 40 shows that are NOT run by corps that syphon revenue out of DCI's coffers (according to some).

and you lose the Indy's, DCI's costs go up.

15 hours ago, garfield said:

Instead of presuming your motivations (pot, meet kettle), I'll simply ask that you share your list of comparison items that leads you to believe this "proposal" (is it one?  Hmm... didn't know that.  I thought it was a discussion on a forum board) is, in fact, reminiscent of the G7 proposal.  Let me help...

"The Draw"

Segmenting performances to certain classes only

Revenue capture into the "top" corps only, all others are "...allowed to form their own league...".

Restricting show performances to only a segment of a single class.

Firing the ED

Shuttering DCI except for functions only it can perform

"Expanding" the show to include special features and performances for fan inclusion and "enjoyment"

New revenue for a select group of corps only

I'm sure you can list others, but these seem to be a good start.  How do these items compare under the G7 (actual proposal) vs. a change in event management discussion?

Well, event management by itself could not be compared to the entire G7 proposal.  But if one is inclined to make that comparison across the entire strategic plan, there is plenty to feed the paranoia.  All kinds of rethinking how shows are split up, how revenue and other "benefits" are allocated, who will be "members" going forward.  There is even a "succession plan" for the ED position... something you would think is ordinary business practice, not swept up into a strategic plan.  Curious.

I do not believe this is all nefarious.  But the feedback I am getting offline, combined with DCI not announcing anything about the milestones that have already passed, is testing my faith.

11 hours ago, garfield said:

That's the idea anyway.  Again, the analysis of the numbers needs done

And not just "the numbers", but the other side effects of such a change.  For instance, fewer/larger shows probably means that lower WC corps will see even more early performance times than they already do.  That causes several logistic challenges such as shorter rehearsal days, slower travel in traffic, and earlier housing move-outs and move-ins.  One of the advantages of "smaller" shows is that all corps have the full day available for rehearsal, can perform under the lights, and sleep through the trip to the next site.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, garfield said:

...and so does revenue, right?

no because you don't factor in the cost for DCI to staff

5 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

And not just "the numbers", but the other side effects of such a change.  For instance, fewer/larger shows probably means that lower WC corps will see even more early performance times than they already do.  That causes several logistic challenges such as shorter rehearsal days, slower travel in traffic, and earlier housing move-outs and move-ins.  One of the advantages of "smaller" shows is that all corps have the full day available for rehearsal, can perform under the lights, and sleep through the trip to the next site.

well let's be honest, in June through August, no one is truly under the lights until after 8-8:30 PM. So if your show starts at 6, well.....