Horns and Drums

In 1970 at Legion Prelims in Miami, Garfield and Argonne (a corps I had never heard of) were warming up about 50 yards from each other. The Maroon Team stopped a few minutes before the Rebels, and the most glorious brass sound emanated from the other arc. It was so compelling I could not resist approaching. The resonance was captivating, seeming to envelop the whole world. Resistance was futile.

On closer inspection, the scene was incongruous. Compared to the big, beefy Jersey Boys I was instructing, these were "little kids", and many of them were (glup!)...girls!

As I recall, the Drum Major was conducting. No staff members seemed nearby. I asked a bystander if he knew who taught that horn line. Pointing, he said, "I think it's that lady over there".

A few years later, "that lady" was taking us all to school as a DCI judge. Some of us brass instructors referred to the experience as "The University of Sandra Opie".

She is not in a class by herself, she's in a universe by herself.

I guess this just makes sense. After all, she studied trumpet with Rafael Mendez, but I'll bet he learned a few tricks from her.

(And after that parking lot experience, I sure as h#ll knew who the Argonne Rebels were.)

Edited by ironlips
clarity
  • Like 4

On 4/27/2020 at 1:28 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

I think it would benefit DCI if some caption awards were announced at regular shows.

Thinking of captions always remember 1975 DCA. Cabs, Buccs and Sky running neck and neck for good drama. Then 2 rain delays and a wet field for added drama and DM only retreat. Captions announced and all 3 of them won a caption. Then we hear “top drums... Baltimore Yankee Rebels”. Everyone was fixated on the top 3 they forgot YRs had a killer drumline and had been winning top drums at shows. 
Just added to the drama... and YRs came in 6th

Edited by JimF-LowBari

24 minutes ago, ironlips said:

Oh, you mean like this? (I swore half the Argonne kids could do it. The other half could do it twice.)

After my Basic Training at Lackland AF Base (San Antonio) in late 66, I extended my stay by joining their D&BC.  The NCOIC played a recording of Mendez.  First time ever hearing a brass player using circle breathing.  Sandra O. must have taught them.

Edited by Ghost