What would you rather hear?

WoofInTheWoods

130 members have voted

1. 1. What would you rather hear?

• High volume hornline
    • High quality hornline

Speaking of loud, I didn't hear that many "loud" corps at DCI this year.  Is that because of the B flat horns?

Nope ... it's just a trend. It's easier to play controlled and in tune if you never play louder than forte. I thought the Blue Devils, Cadets, 'Coats, and Crossmen were plenty loud. These days, tho, some of the corps who are shooting for a more symphonic style prefer to take a more measured approach to their music. Look at how many people praised the Cavaliers' "mature" sound but had little else to say about their brass.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quality is the most important to me... a hornline that is perfectly in tune, or as close as possible to perfection, WILL naturally sound louder then a hornline that is playing the same exact dynamic level without the same quality of intonation.

The key IMO is getting the intonation out of the entire corps at a moderate dynamic level, and then trying to take the dynamics as low as they can go with a good sound. I personally think it's harder to play soft with a good sound then to play loud with a good sound.

I would take the Cavaliers "mature" sound from this year over that of any other corps from this season. That was the best i have ever heard a corps sound in person (though that only goes back to 2000).

The most mature hornlines can play at any dynamic level, any tempo, and registster and maintain the same quality of sound. Playing in the "mezzo zone" all hornlines sound great, but when playing at "pp" or "fff" and all those dynamics outside of "mezzo" really shows off a mature hornline. Add a really tough moving passage, and put that in 7 octves(contra through upper lead sop) with multiple layered parts, play it at any volume clean with great TQ&I...then you have got yourself a mature hornline.

Realistically how many hornlines can do this? Consistently...I would say lines like BD, Cadets (although the upper sop intonation isn't quite there), SC...those come to mind.

There has to be a balance in the brass book between soft and loud, layered and not layered, fast passages and slow passages. Being able to play in a wide variety of styles and a wide variety of tempos, and a wide variety of volumes, while maintaining proper balance blend and intonation, that is what defines a mature hornline.

I'll take a hornline that can do all that please, loud and good.

^0^

It's all about contrast, baby!

There has to be a balance in the brass book between soft and loud, layered and not layered, fast passages and slow passages.  Being able to play in a wide variety of styles and a wide variety of tempos, and a wide variety of volumes, while maintaining proper balance blend and intonation, that is what defines a mature hornline.

Exactly. That's why it drove me crazy that the Cavaliers won High Brass. I mean, where was the meat in their horn book compared with the rest of the top corps? Yeah, they had a great "mature symphonic" sound, as has been repeatedly said in these forums, but it's certainly a lot easier to achieve such a sound when your not really challenging your horn players. I'm sure the Cavaliers horn lins could have handled some really tough stuff, but this year's music wasn't it. <sigh> ... and people complained that Star's horns had too much tacet time in '93. Next year, I want both the Cavies and the Glassmen to prove to me that they can play a real friggin' loud "fff". We know they can play really good at "mf," but as Chris says, how about some contrast? I voted for "quality" over "volume," but this is still drum corps, after all.

• 5 weeks later...

they do...you got to love BD. (Junior corps) But in the world of senior...I go with Renegades, but I am biased B)

Kimela

I gotta agree with Orpheus. Sure they had the best sound and probably a neat perfect show in the horns. But yeah, i bet any of the top 12 could have done just about as well. I think a high brass winner, part of it should require a significant demand, not just a clean sound. I'd would have given BD or Cadets high brass in a second after i heard then all on finals night this year. But i'm not a judge and i dont' make the rules. But still.... i have my right to throw my 1.99 cents out there, not quite 2 any more, i lost a part when i get hit by a Horn line. :P

• 4 months later...