130 members have voted

1. 1. What would you rather hear?

• High volume hornline
    • High quality hornline

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with Louie on this one.  If you can barely hear it.. what's the point?

If you can hear it and it sounds like crap.....what's the point???

Mike

I see it like this.. Let's say you had two audio amplifiers. One is 10 Watts / S/N 89db and the other amp is 500 Watts / S/N 105bd. The 10 Watt amp sounds great at low volume but sounds like distorted when you turn it up. On the other hand the 500 Watts amp sounds like crap at full volume but if you back it down until it is not distorted, it will still be louder than the 10 Watt amp.

It's a question of headroom. If you have good quality sound running at maximum volume and no SPL, you are stuck.. If the SPL is high and it sounds distorted, all you have to do is back it off a little to get your quality back.

You could have the world's ten best horn players on the field and I would still rather listen to a 74 piece horn line.

Loud. I've heard a ton of good quality hornlines over the years. They are great. But I really want to be pushed back a couple rows. I.E. I'd rather listen to 80 SOA anyday over 93 Star.

Just my prefrence.

I'm with Louie on this one.  If you can barely hear it.. what's the point?

If you can hear it and it sounds like crap.....what's the point???

Mike

I see it like this.. Let's say you had two audio amplifiers. One is 10 Watts / S/N 89db and the other amp is 500 Watts / S/N 105bd. The 10 Watt amp sounds great at low volume but sounds like distorted when you turn it up. On the other hand the 500 Watts amp sounds like crap at full volume but if you back it down until it is not distorted, it will still be louder than the 10 Watt amp.

It's a question of headroom. If you have good quality sound running at maximum volume and no SPL, you are stuck.. If the SPL is high and it sounds distorted, all you have to do is back it off a little to get your quality back.

You could have the world's ten best horn players on the field and I would still rather listen to a 74 piece horn line.

Well, if you can have both, all the better.

However, in the spirit of the poll, choosing one, I'd take quality first.

10 quality players are, IMO, far superior to 75 lousy players. I'd rather hear the 10 quality.

Mike

I'd rather listen to 80 SOA anyday over 93 Star.

Ah-men, brother!

I know that it is possible to be loud and good. But I'm taking the loose interpretation of the question on this poll to be "would you rather hear a corps let loose and rip" or would you rather "experience a controlled hornline with great virtuostic qualities". I'd definitely rather hear a loud as heck F-Tuning sequence (as long as it is indeed in tune - which may play to the quality argument) even if it goes a bit out of controll rather than listen to (no offense inteneded here) any part of the Cavaliers show this year. I've even gone on record as stating that I liked the Cavaliers this year which is unusual for me, but I never in any of the performances I saw them at hear them "pull the trigger". And truthfully, I'm not sure how appropriate it would have been in their show for them to go beyond that controll level anyhow.

Some of the most enjoyable performances to hear in my book are victory concerts. Where the kids let loose and just play for the joy of playing. Perhaps that's why I lean toward senior corps more than junior.

I agree wholeheartedly with those who say that loud is not automatically good. I'd much rather hear a high-quality Div. 3 line than a full-sized line that sounds like snot. Yes, volume is great - I've mentioned several times how I'm frustrated by the Glassmen's apparent inability to play above mf - but you've got to have the tone quality and intonation first. Star '93 is one of my favorite horn lines ever, by the way, precisely because they were so darn good ... and don't be fooled - they had plenty of volume when they needed it.

I have played in hornlines of all sizes and talent levels. I can tell you that I would much rather play in tune and sound good than play loud. Loud comes later.

I have played in lines that were considered loud but not good. That's a mixed blessing, but I'd rather sound good to my friends and family who are LISTENING to ME!

Speaking of loud, I didn't hear that many "loud" corps at DCI this year. Is that because of the B flat horns?