What would you rather hear?

WoofInTheWoods

130 members have voted

1. 1. What would you rather hear?

• High volume hornline
    • High quality hornline

The Best of both worlds, both the good and the Bad, but more of the Good balls to the walls Hornlines. I don't want to here percussion. Thats a hornline. Kinda like the Star lines, '93 would be the best example of that, or the old Sprit lines for just pure sound.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I strongly disagree with the premise that you can have LOUD or QUALITY, but not both. The two are very much related.

Any horn line can play loud. And most horn lines can play with good tone quality and intonation. What makes a truly great horn line is one that can play with good quality and intonation at any volume. The results will be far more impressive, enjoyable and yes, louder.

I have a feeling this thread is a result of the efforts of the Renegegades PR machine. Yes, we like to say 'Loud is Good'. But don't think for an instance that we're forgetting about good horn playing. Our horn staff has many, many DCI championships under their belt and demand the upmost attention to proper technique at all times.

If the phrase Loud is Good really bugs you, think of it as a stepping stone to Good intonation, beautiful tone and full sound is great.  :D

See you on the 50.

- Greg

PS: I will say that volume is one of the most unique aspects of drum and bugle corps compared to other musical venues. To ignore this obvious difference when marketing drum corps to the masses would be a mistake, IMO.

Thanks for that clarification, Greg.  I've never heard or seen the Renegades (yet).  Maybe someone can donate to my collection?

i'm a big time firm belieaver in. If you work towards a perfect sound with a hornline, that it will give the impression of being loud even if it never is loud. But also in reality, if you have an awesome quality hornline, the volume will be there. But if you have a loud line, he quality isn't neccisarily there. Thats my 2-cents..

Yeah, I think if the quality's there, then the loudness comes as that extra bonus.  What it really boils down to is the mindset of the hornline.

Of course, each hornline will have their primes and peaks and the complete opposite of that.  Sure, some corps have strengths in certain areas, but I bet that throughout the entire season, each hornline will have a fluctuating sound problem a couple of times.  Probably more earlier in the season than in the later.  Then there's the issue of being psyched out for finals and so forth.  But what do I know, I'm not in a corps this year!  (I think I have somewhat of a grasp, however)

Think about what many corps say on their websites about auditions.  Frequently, I always see the whole sound and the quality tones you can produce.  

There's a difference between being loud and just plain obnoxious.... So I think that they sort of go hand in hand, only to an extent, however.

Its almost always been my experience that quality hornlines can play loud,and with quality.

J B)

• 3 months later...
I know we all love to hear a hornline that plays loud AND good but if you had to choose between one or the other what would it be?  Bleeding ears or no bleeding ears?   To me nothing sucks worse than a big hornline that doesn't play well and they do it as loud as they can.

Loud does not = good!  ]:-)

HAHA!! Exactly!!! Just think about Madison!! ^0^ ^0^ ^0^

This is a tough question to answer if I have to pick just one, because I think both are so important, especially in drum corps. But, if I absolutely had to pick "only one", I would have to say "quality" first, because no matter how loud a drum corps can play, if they are out of tune and sound awful when you hear them, most people are not going to be very eager to hear them again. If you have a horn line that can play really well, with great quality of sound, technique, intonation, etc, then the rest will usually fall in to place, ie. - they will automatically sound louder from playing so well in tune! A good example: A horn line that has lots of great "overtones" happening!

So, I have to admit, I really can't pick "only one"! Especially in corps, I've got to have both!!!