Best Horn Makers

sokkerboie

I like the tone that yamahas have, i think the intonation of a horn is for the most part, the responsibility of the player, although the horn can help and that is kanstul's strengths. I like the sound of the kings, but if you ask me they look a little funny, the contras and euphs anyways. I think the kanstul G bari was the best G bari ever made but DEG has made alot more inovations in their horns in the past couple years, especially compared to kanstul.

I don't know about DEG's latest "inovation" but I have seen a couple of DEG sop's that are about 1-3 years old and I am not impressed with the quality especially when you consider the abuse a drum corps puts on them. I must admit the Blue Devils are starting to get their sound back that I feel was lost at the Bb transition. Kanstul makes a #### of a horn in tone, quality and performance. My favorite horn was the King K20 soprano from the 80's, a Ziggy Kanstul horn as well. I haven't seen or played the new King instruments but Phantom sounded great this year.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kanstuls = awesome

Great workmanship, great balance, great sound. Can't beat 'em.

w/Stp:

"i would take kanstul everything but mellos. i would take all kanstul and then yamaha mellos. kanstul mellos suck a big bag and are very hard to play in tune."

i completely disagree. i would take the Kanstul mellos and NOT EVER the yamaha mellos...i've gone back and forth (drum corps to HS marching band) and in my experience the kanstul is by far the better of the two...

i'm going to have to agree with oldschoolvk and regularsopguy

chalk up another vote for kanstul!

Kanstuls are excellent. This year Bluecoats had the Kanstul mello design revamped. If you listen to our 2002 and 2003 shows, you'll hear a distinct difference. Now I definitely recommend every Kanstul instrument.

And tell Yamaha to stick to motorcycles. :)

Thank you for those kind words Bloooo. The mellophones were actually made to the Bluecoats specs with some minor modifications to our existing KMM 280. We're glad they worked out for you.

KMM 281 Marching Mellophone

Edited by oldschoolVK

we have about half-n-half Kanstul and Dynasty mells. I've played Dynasty for three years, and I almost cried when I sat down with someone else's Kanstul after a rehearsal. the pitches spoke evenly and clearly, no 'stuffy' notes. smooth, even tone from low to high register, MUCH better pitch center. and no 'bumps' between certain valve combos like my Dynasty(gawd I HATE having to deal w/ that on my mell, none of my trumpets give me that $%#&@).

I will say for the Dynasty, I can make a real DARK orchestral kind of tone on it(great for our ballad feature), it doesn't get that buzzy, sizzling edge on the tone until you are really playing a god's-honest FFF or FFFF, which is where the sizzle belongs!

(lemme be clear; NOT comparing that against Kanstul. i didn't play the Kanstul fullout with the whole hornline, I don't feel I personally had a varied and/or complete basis for comparing all qualities, so I'm not.

I'm grabbing a Kanstul next year before they're handed out to rookies!

loved my Kanstul G Baritone Grande - absolutely gorgeous instrument, and you could tune it no matter what the weather.

have to say it was more fun playing that King Bb Euph- part of that was the ensemble...part of it was the fact that it was a euphonium.

sweet horns

Edited by raphael18

• 2 weeks later...

I think it all depends on the instrument. I am a tuba/contra player and of the two types I played on i prefer the Kanstul marching tubas over the new Yamahas we used this summer. But as far as trumpets i think the xeno by yamaha sounds excellent on the field. We will se what the new Yamaha Euphs sound like soon enough. B)

I have been using a Getzen "Titleist" mellophone since 1995. Anyone else familiar with this horn? Love the sound and tone quality. I do, however, wish it had the balance of a Kanstul. :lol: