concert playing

jamoline

I've spent almost all of my brass playing time in drum corps... I just joined a concert band at my school, and it's nearly impossible to play sitting down. Anyone else notice that? The sound is so much thinner, and it's so much harder to play, for some reason.

air flows better standing up... which is why i always thought it pointless at the beginning of season in HS we rehearsed the music sitting down @ first

• 2 weeks later...

Marching over concert: You don't think each has its advantages?

I hate to say it, but if you are going to be a musician outside of the "outdoor pageantry" world, you are going to have to get used to playing sitting down. There is NO reason that you shouldn't be able to get a full sound while playing sitting down. It may require some different techniques than what you do in drum corps/marching band, but it is possible. And I have no idea why it is harder for you to play.

Here is a possible solution: When you prepare to play sitting down, do you warm up standing up or sitting down?

Tank-

One who plays at least 80% of the time sitting down.

Edited by tankbone2002

I've spent almost all of my brass playing time in drum corps... I just joined a concert band at my school, and it's nearly impossible to play sitting down. Anyone else notice that? The sound is so much thinner, and it's so much harder to play, for some reason.

Have you tried sitting up straight with a similar posture as you would when you are standing and playing.

There is no reason you should have a thinner sound. I believe this is because you are doing someting different when you are sitting down. Make sure you aren't changing or constricing the air stream. Just think of it like standing up with your legs bend all funny :P

I've done both and I find that playing standing up is a lot easier and more powerful than sitting down... I have found though, that if you sit on the edge of the seat and sit straight ( I know that's tough to do...) You'll have an easier time playing... Also try playing the horn higher, almost to the point where your bell is in the music stand... again, better sound.

Hope that helps ^_^

one thing i HATE is when i am playing in community bands is when i look over and see all the trumpets(with the exception of one - who oddly enough has marched before) with their bells pointed downward. and you wonder why things sound different?? how can it possible sound good when your posture is like that?

I've done both and I find that playing standing up is a lot easier and more powerful than sitting down... I have found though, that if you sit on the edge of the seat and sit straight ( I know that's tough to do...) You'll have an easier time playing

Yeah, I talked to a friend of mine who marched in The Cavaliers the last two years, and he told me the same thing. It doesn't even have to be the edge of the seat, though. Just make sure your back is not against the back support of the chair, as this is what restricts your air intake, and makes it more difficult to play.

Have you tried sitting up straight with a similar posture as you would when you are standing and playing?

Yes.

I know how to project, and no, I don't play into the stand. re: bell angles You're supposed to have your bell tilted slightly downward. Apparently it gives you a warmer and more "concert" sound. :/ I've tried it both ways, and I don't think I'm qualified to speak authoritatively on it.

tankbone, I hate to say it, but there's nothing to get heated up about. I'm sure both have their advantages.

anyway, I'm over it.. I dropped the band. I'm taking enough classes as it is. Thanks everyone for the advice.