Spirit of Atlanta 2023

I caught some of the show music at their standstill on YouTube. It was a little raw but just hearing sounds coming from them again was emotional, and I don’t get that way at all. I feel they at best will stay in the 16 to 20 range for the summer.  They were on a great trajectory with The Bottle Tree but things went south as everyone knows.  I hope they can find that again.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

I just caught some of this show on youtube tonight and all I can say is WOW. I really have come to love SOA these last few years and was really sad to hear they were not going to be fielding a show last year after their positive upward trajectory. The music is really great and wow that mello line! I think their ballad will shine come the end of the season and if they can button some things up it will be a great show no matter where it lands. So happy to see them back!

• Like 1

The DM is great.

Edited by mjyaub
No reason
  • Like 1

Mmmm clutter in that really see 16 to 20. Good that they have a few more days. Looks unfinished. But here’s hoping!

I have them around 13-15 right now but I HOPE to be proved wrong- the video had a very obstructed view of the field so the visual package I didnt get the best read on but it appears to have lots of demand and wow moments. The hornline is what makes them the biggest wild card for me of the entire summer. There is some dirt, some stick outs, and some rough spots but you can tell Michael Martin is in front of them as they are putting out some serious sound. Give them a few weeks, I think this hornline will be meaningfully competitive with anyone below the top 7. Again, this is the biggest wild card of really any corps for me right now. I am very excited for july 8th. 

• Like 1

After watching SOA at CrownBeat last night I learned a few things.  First I didn’t realize that Spirit had not competed since 2019 including the “celebration” performance that was not judged.  Next I learned that the corps is currently has 130 rookies in its roster.  SOA isn’t talked about much on this forum these days.  There were plenty of opinions when the dark cloud covered them. Now that they are back performing I hope they are given a chance.  The crowd last night in South Carolina certainly did.  In my opinion they were pretty good with a lot to build off of.  One thing for sure is they came back.  I’m sure it was an emotional moment for the current members and alumni.  

• Like 5

The only thing currently available is their recipe of the opener from a week ago.

That said, it's the only show to elicit tears from me so far this season. Thanks SoA, I got to briefly remember how much I love this activity... and that was just your opener. I know the admin staff has done a lot of work to improve the safety of the corps experience.

I used to work with the current guard caption head. He's a good guy from what I recall. But the movement technique could use some work. As I've been telling everyone else, extend the bottom legs and point your feet during sautes. It's the easiest thing to fix that could make a real difference in the longevity and safety of these member's bodies.

Proud of you Spirit. Can't wait to see the full show!

Edited by scheherazadesghost

• 2 weeks later...

So proud of this group. For as young as they are, making the progress they are is outstanding.

Austin was they're highest scoring run this year, but even though the score hasn't gone down yet this season, I don't think it was their best. From what I've seen in spring training until now, there appear to be 2-3 tiny fixes that should have a very large effect on the overall show, potentially a difference of multiple points. Percussion scores are climbing and if the whole group increases consistency, I stand by my Finals prediction.

They'll be playing on Saturday if they keep up this progress.

• Like 5

Just caught a fresh recipe from the Austin show, thanks to those out there who make that possible!

Okay, this show is COHESIVE in design. Colors and shapes in uniforms, guard costumes, flags, set are all very sharp, clear and integrate the brand of Baby Blue very well. There is no pretension or excess here. SoA might have my new favorite uniforms of the season. I can tell the thought and love the design and overall staff put into this show for the members. They LOOK GREAT on everyone! As it should be after a season off.

It's been a long time since I was a musician, so I'll leave the dissection of music design and execution to someone with better ears than me. Overall, I enjoy the music choices with a bunch of nice, strong punches, crisp battery/pit interludes as well as the integration of sound design. In particular, I enjoy the intro to the ballad (from Pixar's UP, right? LOVE IT), as it nearly makes me tear up every time. The closer sound design reprises the opener a bit which is solidifies and strong ABA design. I love this drumline. ❤️

Visually, the designers also gave a solid project to the members. The rolling benches keep the show a bit casual, which I tend to enjoy. The black upsage set pieces provide height without getting in the way. I look forward to seeing more diversity regarding how each of these pieces will be used, as right now it seems that sitting and/or making static shapes at different levels is the extent of their use. We're not quite near the end of the season and there's lots that can be done here.

Some feedback:

Hornline duders have to be sure after that first big hit in the opener to step off together. They can't be nervous or lose focus, so stand up to that big bad hit, then follow through. It diminishes the impact otherwise. Some of the members with larger instruments... I'm seeing horns sway the littlest bit as they march at times. I hope they continue to eat their Wheaties and strengthen their cores. It's not about being big-chested or super strong, it's about dropping their shoulders and integrating stillness into the space between the base of the sternum and navel. Accordingly, this is also where you breathe from so something tells me that breath integration/meditation may also be helpful to research in their off hours, should they have any.

Ok guard friends. Those costumes have really grown on me and wow, the designers did a solid for the members on those flag designs. We have sections with just choreo, all weapons, swing flag, 6' and 7/7.5' flag poles. Y'all. They gave the members a solid, well-rounded design. Dual rifle tosses at the second half of the opener: NICE CATCHES! The few moments when I saw choreo, I did see pointed feet. Thank you! Like in most guards, I'm not yet seeing a complete understanding of turnout when it's called for so standing/landing legs are sometimes turned in, or arabaseques are not turned out at the knee. I'm seeing solid performance quality for this time in the season, but I'm super ready for it to be cranked up with the knob ripped off as the season progresses. They must project either up to the last row or straight forward with a lot of punch! Anything else is a loss in performance quality in spaces as large as stadiums. The wind may be fooling me with those swing flags, so I can't wait to see them in a closed space. Keep cleaning that closer flag work! I do feel that the choreo overall could integrate partnering or inversions more to demonstrate "down-ness" a bit more, but overall the "up-ness" and "all-around-ness" are 100% there.

However, I'm overall VERY impressed with performance quality, expression and body integration from the corps and guard, especially in the ballad with the ladders. One thing that always helped me, as a very short performer, was watching tall performers and pretending like I was 7 feet tall and could reach the people in the last row at the back of the stadium. When performing in a stadium, I often felt like I was about to burst out of my skin I was giving so much to the audience. Any and all gestures that include reach must do this, so keep getting bigger until you finally get an instructor to say "whoa, hey bro, pull it back, you're too much." Otherwise, it's probably not enough. Right now some gestures and reaches seem smaller than the could be.

This show had some holes (contras? guard?) so I look forward to seeing the whole picture. If they're injured or sick, I wish them a thorough recovery.

Great job, Baby Blue! 💙 Can't wait to see this show grow.

• Like 3