Sinning in Sactown (Capital Classic, July 10, 2023)

Just now, brassboy said:

IMG-5778.jpg

Gold: Such an intriguing show (creeeeepy ending!) and I really like the layering they’ve got written into the brass book. Felt like there were a few minor ensemble tears, but a really fantastic performance and show. 

Thanks for the updates guys!  Can't wait till World Class starts!

• Like 3

Gold: excellent corps. Yet another world  class corps masquerading as an open class corps!  Very powerful sound. 
if I could change anything it would be to include more variety in the brass dynamics. Right now, everything is loud. Overall, a fine corp that will do well in open class at Indy

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Chief Guns said:

Just heard from my son. He is one of the three tubas out tonight. He is sick. Sounds like he caught a cold. 😞

Godspeed to all three tubas!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Photographer Jim said:

Gold: excellent corps. Yet another world  class corps masquerading as an open class corps!  Very powerful sound. 
if I could change anything it would be to include more variety in the brass dynamics. Right now, everything is loud. Overall, a fine corp that will do well in open class at Indy

I wanted to see more movement skills as well but very impressive corps!

• Like 2

Academy:  much more traditional and serious approach than one is used to from this corps. Musically it’s very enjoyable. Visually it’s average. It is possible to get into finals with this show, but will take work

• Like 4

IMG-5781.jpg

Academy:

I enjoy this show SO much more than their recent programs. Really enjoyable arrangements of a great repertoire. They didn’t use their big stage today, and I’m wondering if it’s because it didn’t fit down the very narrow entrance/exit ramp. They were also down to only 8 tubas (not sure how many they normally have). I can’t help but think that the crazy California tour of the past four days took its toll on the MM’s health (not enough actual floor time to recover from each day). Anyway, Flo does NOT do Academy (or any corps) justice. What a great performance from them!

• Like 4

Pacific Crest:  I keep waiting, and wanting, for this corps, to break through to become a Finalist. I’m just not sure that this show is the one that’s going to do it for them. They are on the brink, but this show is not the vehicle to help set them apart. 

the large tarp in the lower right corner still bothers me. It’s ok when focus is on that part of the field, but it doesn’t seem to fit for much of the show. 

however, in general, PC is a fine corps

Edited by Photographer Jim
Typos
  • Like 1

IMG-5784.jpg

Pacific Crest:

I don’t quite know what that show was about (besides being called “Goddess”), but they’re really starting to sell and perform the show nicely. Like Academy, this is a corps whose sound is REALLY diminished on Flo. They have a much fuller sound in-person. Really nice performance and so glad to see them improving so much. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, brassboy said:

IMG-5784.jpg

Pacific Crest:

I don’t quite know what that show was about (besides being called “Goddess”), but they’re really starting to sell and perform the show nicely. Like Academy, this is a corps whose sound is REALLY diminished on Flo. They have a much fuller sound in-person. Really nice performance and so glad to see them improving so much. 

Nice Review.  And you got a pic of my kid on the field so that's a bonus!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1