Houston show that's actually Tomball

18 minutes ago, Hook'emCavies said:

Yep! But they twitched it a little so it's not exactly the same. 

It's really interesting looking at the slight differences in each corps.

Yeah, my high school in the 80s marched a bent knee that was basically a relaxed knee.  We cleaned it with a prep step (straight forward, not to the side like BK) then would extend the knee outward as we went forward into the step.  That became the basic motion of our step.  

We had a guy join early fall one year on alto sax who had marched Cavaliers and he comes in with a bent leg that was more the true bicycle step with the lifting going on and has to adjust a lot.  Our step would sort of approximate that when we had really short step sizes in the drill, but it wasn't the basic motion when doing an 8 to 5.  

• Thanks 1

I finally got time to give out my general thoughts from last night. My circuit breaker kept popping, I had to call my electrician, he fixed the problem, and now all is good. Just one of the joys of being a homeowner lol!!!

Anyways, just wow! I really had a good time yesterday. Again, I actually like this stadium and they did a BETTER job at directing traffic and getting people inside. Food wasn't expensive and I'm happy that I got my cavies gear :)))))))). I decided on getting the tour shirt. It looks great!

Seattle Cascades- clearly there is a lot that needs to be addressed. Truthfully, my biggest concern has to be their marching technique. They can actually hurt themselves.... I was grabbing on my knees thinking about the possibility of them doing something serious to their knees. I think they need to take a few steps back and address it ASAP. Their hips were... ouch and horn angles need to be fixed too. But I really enjoyed their energy and I could tell their head drum major is a true leader. They have a good guy up on that podium.

Mandrains- TALENT! WOW! This a talented group. It wasn't exactly my cup of tea in terms of show theme, but I loved what they did on the field. They are just an amazing group and I gotta give the folks running their booth. They are fantastic people! This corps is definitely on the up and it's exciting!!!

The Colts- this was my feel good show. It's cheesey, but man I love cheese. Heck, I just ate some chips with cheese dip. Their uniforms were crisp and I was really impressed with how their hornline sounded. They are really fighting to stay in the top 12 and I think they have a very good shot. Like everyone else, focus on your goals and let's see where it takes then!

Blue Stars- man, that hornline is clear. No pun intended lol! But they were clean. Sure, the staff members kinda annoyed me with trying to take someone's seats... and I get it, they just wanted an up high perspective at a show. Anyways, this show is odd, but it works. It was a fun show and I enjoyed it. Interesting props too.

THE CAVALIERS- ooooooh yes. I was on my feet the whole time. It basically started with me yelling "NO FEAR CAVALIERS" and they were off! Clearly, they need some work in certain areas... but look, I'm not a judge or a staff member... I'm just a fan supporting them and I really enjoyed this show. Lots of throw back moments and it was nuts hearing a 2000s style sound. Granted the hornline needs some work in a few areas, but I never had the chance to hear that style from them. It was awesome! I do agree that somewhere was... interesting, but for how things are done now it makes some sense. Regardless, I'm so dang proud of them! They were on fire last night and crowd ate it up too! 

Carolina Crown- this is first Crown show in a while that I enjoyed. I think Night Window from the movie 1917 doesn't exactly gel with the rest of the show, but it didn't ruin the overall experience. I really wanted a money python reference though lol!!!

Blue Devils- they will probably win. I loved that contra feature.

Bluecoats- I know the show was about a poem, but it looked very 60s. That is NOT a bad thing. It works for the Bluecoats. Solid percussion and this corps will keep fighting for a top 3 spot. Just yall wait and see!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Yeah, my high school in the 80s marched a bent knee that was basically a relaxed knee.  We cleaned it with a prep step (straight forward, not to the side like BK) then would extend the knee outward as we went forward into the step.  That became the basic motion of our step.  

We had a guy join early fall one year on alto sax who had marched Cavaliers and he comes in with a bent leg that was more the true bicycle step with the lifting going on and has to adjust a lot.  Our step would sort of approximate that when we had really short step sizes in the drill, but it wasn't the basic motion when doing an 8 to 5.  

Yep!! That's a really good example.