Let's Talk About the Blue Devils...

5 minutes ago, DWW11 said:

you have passed the point of stating your position and seemingly have crossed into absurdist territory if you think BD fans are indifferent.  

indifferent may be the wrong word as my experience on DCP would indicate. Less urgent is more appropriate. 

1 minute ago, ContraFart said:

I am trying to figure out why not. How many people actually have heard of Fredrico Felinni or Henri Mattisee? How many people are familiar with the painting Dreams and Nighthawks? 

To be fair, I think Felliniesque in 2014 was one of the few times since the turn of the century they clearly deserved the win. 

6 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

I am trying to figure out why not. How many people actually have heard of Fredrico Felinni or Henri Mattisee? How many people are familiar with the painting Dreams and Nighthawks? 

Because the subject matter doesn’t matter to me. Has anyone heard of any of the source literature Bloo is using in their show this year and last year? 

I watch drum corps for the music and visuals. That is enough for me, and used to be enough for drum corps fans before the 2000s

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GraysonHarris said:

I know you aren't asking me, but I was not a fan of Babylon. I do though think they deserved to win. 

I didn’t care for that show either. I thought it was boring and I think I am in the minority on this. But that mello line was cooking at the end. The show had some type of energy to it that most people picked up on (which was completely lost to me). Am I sad it won? Nope. Do I think it should have won? Yep, the judges make that decision, not me.

• Thanks 5

10 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

To be fair, I think Felliniesque in 2014 was one of the few times since the turn of the century they clearly deserved the win. 

Then you must have missed a LOT of drum corps since then...

Edited by jsd
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

I never said they did not deserve to win that year or in several other years. 

1 minute ago, jsd said:

The you must have missed a LOT of drum corps since then...

Uh, no. Up until recently I was very involved with the activity. 

To be completely fair, since 2000 I think they deserved to win in 2010, 2011 (which they didn't win btw), 2014, 2019, and 2022. 

Every other year there was a better designed, more exciting, or more interesting show on the field. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

indifferent may be the wrong word as my experience on DCP would indicate. Less urgent is more appropriate. 

Again, for those in the back- BD fans do not feel less urgency. We are not indifferent to winning, or blase about success.  We want BD to win this year, because the show is fabulous.  We want them to 3peat, because they never have and it is such a rare accomplishment.  But we know others are working hard to win, and they will be applauded and appreciated, whatever the result.   

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Because the subject matter doesn’t matter to me. Has anyone heard of any of the source literature Bloo is using in their show this year and last year? 

I watch drum corps for the music and visuals. That is enough for me, and used to be enough for drum corps fans before the 2000s

To be fair the source material for Bloo and how it is being interpreted is very literal. You do not need to know the source material to understand it.