Let's Talk About the Blue Devils...

38 minutes ago, Ashontheinternet said:

ive said it before and i will say it again. if you allow the scores and winners to determine how much you like a show or a season, you have got it all wrong. most of my favorite shows season to season dont even medal, let alone win, but you dont see me throwing in the towel and finding a new hobby about it. for example, i didnt love ghostlight, but im not mad or sad it won over the bluecoats. i can recognize that bd deserved their win. thats also how im feeling this year. i dont love the cut-outs, but if it wins im not gonna quit watching dci, because i do love the garden of love, sinnerman, and exogenesis. and every year i see shows and performances i adore and love regardless of placement. it is okay to feel a bit exhausted seeing blue devils in first year after year, but why make a fuss? most will agree they deserve the wins, wether or not the loved the show or not. because at the end of the day this activity is about learning, entertaining, and community, not placements and scores. 

Is this a competition or not? Maybe we are asking the wrong questions. Is this activity just for the marching members or does the audience count? If competition was not an element, you would be completely right. I marched a 10th place corps and did not care about placement when I marched. I joke about BAC beating us for the first time at finals, but it was not a big deal, what I remember is melting the turf with sparklers with the BAC contra section. 

However as a consumer, the competitive element is important. What makes it more difficult is that the outcome is subjective so outcomes will almost always be contested. 

27 minutes ago, mboogey73 said:

Using your logic BD should win drums pretty much every year because their book is consistently exponentially harder than anyone else.  This year included. 

False. This is flat out false. The BD front ensemble is a lot of flash with very little substance, they haven't had the best pit book in decades, and usually they aren't even in the top two.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

11 minutes ago, CAtenhut said:

Hate me. But don't hate BD. Some of us are just tired of listening to people complain about the same stuff year after year for a decade now. 

and some of us are tired of a corps they do not enjoy being declared the best in the activity almost every year for decades. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, ContraFart said:

and some of us are tired of a corps they do not enjoy being declared the best in the activity almost every year for decades. 

You are upset about something that is completely out of your control. I get it - I hated watching the Patriots or Lakers win all the time. But it's not going to stop me from watching football or basketball. If you don't enjoy BD's shows, that is totally fine. But to say you're going to abandon the activity because you're tired of seeing them win is ridiculous... Do you not see something wrong with this thinking?

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, CAtenhut said:

You are upset about something that is completely out of your control. I get it - I hated watching the Patriots or Lakers win all the time. But it's not going to stop me from watching football or basketball. If you don't enjoy BD's shows, that is totally fine. But to say you're going to abandon the activity because you're tired of seeing them win is ridiculous... Do you not see something wrong with this thinking?

I did stop watching the NFL for several years because of the Cheatriots. 

10 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

Is this a competition or not? Maybe we are asking the wrong questions. Is this activity just for the marching members or does the audience count? If competition was not an element, you would be completely right. I marched a 10th place corps and did not care about placement when I marched. I joke about BAC beating us for the first time at finals, but it was not a big deal, what I remember is melting the turf with sparklers with the BAC contra section. 

However as a consumer, the competitive element is important. What makes it more difficult is that the outcome is subjective so outcomes will almost always be contested. 

i havent ever said that the competition isn't important, and i think you can totally care about scores without letting it stain your view of the season, corps, or show. i do like the competition, i like watching the top 4-2 move around, and watching boston creep towards BD and move around. bloo is my favorite show/corps, so watching them and crown neck and neck all season has been a blast to see. bloo likely isnt winning this year, even though i love it and wish it could, but im not mad it likely wont win, because i recognize bd is in a league of their own right now, and they deserve what they are getting. 

• Like 1

This topic has gone from informative, entertaining, philosophical, to downright stupid. 

It's unreal how some people just won't accept the fact that others are allowed and entitled to have their own opinions without being lambasted. 

That goes for both sides of the Blue Devlis argument.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ashontheinternet said:

i havent ever said that the competition isn't important, and i think you can totally care about scores without letting it stain your view of the season, corps, or show. i do like the competition, i like watching the top 4-2 move around, and watching boston creep towards BD and move around. bloo is my favorite show/corps, so watching them and crown neck and neck all season has been a blast to see. bloo likely isnt winning this year, even though i love it and wish it could, but im not mad it likely wont win, because i recognize bd is in a league of their own right now, and they deserve what they are getting. 

competition is meaningless if you already know the winner. 

I don't think BD is in a league of their own, that is my whole issue. I believe the talent player for player, the staff and the execution are relatively equal among the top 4 corps. How that ends up in one corps winning 60% of the time is what I do not understand. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

I did stop watching the NFL for several years because of the Cheatriots. 

If only there was an eyeroll reaction. 

And no, I am far from a Patriots fan. 

Seems like there are two types of people in this world, those who admire excellence and those who resent it 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

If only there was an eyeroll reaction. 

And no, I am far from a Patriots fan. 

Seems like there are two types of people in this world, those who admire excellence and those who resent it 

Screw you, if you think I resent excellence you have no idea what you are talking about. 

• Haha 1