Let's Talk About the Blue Devils...

2 hours ago, ContraFart said:

Bostons design team was at Crown prior for about a dozen years. Changing corps doesn't eliminate your experience. I believe Dean Westman and Doug Thrower have been at Bluecoats since 2002. 

People are putting too much stock in the staff longevity at BD, because the cumulative experience at the top corps is relatively equal. 

Agree. And actually Blue Devils lost John Meehan I believe - or maybe he is consulting at times. They have a new guy doing brass instruction and warm ups. I think Meehan went to a band in Canada (Calgary Stampede I think). Wayne Downey has not written for the A corps since 2014. He may consult here and there. It's mostly Dave Glyde designing and writing the music. Scott Chandler was not always the program coordinator. 

One of the key elements for Blue Devils is Todd Ryan who is visual caption head and marching instructor. He was a 1970s era Madison Scout who came to BD in 1994 after working with Star of Indiana. He brought their marching technique to a new level. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ContraFart said:

To be fair the source material for Bloo and how it is being interpreted is very literal. You do not need to know the source material to understand it. 

That’s fine. We clearly watch drum corps in different ways. And that’s okay. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

Uh, no. Up until recently I was very involved with the activity. 

To be completely fair, since 2000 I think they deserved to win in 2010, 2011 (which they didn't win btw), 2014, 2019, and 2022. 

Every other year there was a better designed, more exciting, or more interesting show on the field. 

I actually agree with every you said except 2011 and 2019. 

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

That’s fine. We clearly watch drum corps in different ways. And that’s okay. 

I would love for you to understand why I believe that BDs dominance is detrimental to the activity as a whole, but I do not know if that is possible. 

11 minutes ago, DWW11 said:

Again, for those in the back- BD fans do not feel less urgency. We are not indifferent to winning, or blase about success.  We want BD to win this year, because the show is fabulous.  We want them to 3peat, because they never have and it is such a rare accomplishment.  But we know others are working hard to win, and they will be applauded and appreciated, whatever the result.   

If you were a Red Sox fan prior to 2004, you would understand how easy it is to have your outlook. 

1 minute ago, ContraFart said:

I would love for you to understand why I believe that BDs dominance is detrimental to the activity as a whole, but I do not know if that is possible. 

The thing is, at least for ME, i DO understand the points you are making.  I read everything you wrote, you have been VERY clear.  I just disagree with you.  It IS THAT SIMPLE. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, ContraFart said:

Oh I understand why you think so. But attendance numbers disagree with you. 

In the span of BD’s most dominant run, we have seen historical attendance figures at prelims, semis, and a couple regionals

We also have historic levels of audience engagement through streaming and the theater broadcast. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DWW11 said:

The thing is, at least for ME, i DO understand the points you are making.  I read everything you wrote, you have been VERY clear.  I just disagree with you.  It IS THAT SIMPLE. 

Exactly. We are not stupid, we can read the words written on our screens. Just because something is written doesn’t make it true or universally agreed on. I posted this thread fully knowing there would be dissenters of the video

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

If you were a Red Sox fan prior to 2004, you would understand how easy it is to have your outlook. 

You presume to know MY outlook based on YOUR history?  That tells me more about you than any of your other posts.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

OK I give up. There is nothing wrong with one corps winning 60% of the time, judges are never wrong and BD is universally loved and anyone who questions that is just a hater. You win